Start a Conversation

Unsolved

10 Posts

May 31st, 2019 14:00

Beware of SmartByte Continued...

Product was running CPU 45 - 65% on new Inspiron I5 system with SSD.  Performance was pathetic.

89 Negative comments from slow networking with this awful software, no reply from Dell whatsoever and the forum is mysteriously locked after 9 pages of complaints.  I've run across dozens of other complaints to uninstall Smartbyte as a solution in this community, and others that don't have a clue what could be wrong.,  I run across Killer Network nic cards and associated fake-ware and nothing but poor performance and problems.

Many stated the software keeps reinstalling itself.  My solution was to just stop the service and set to disabled, and uninstall Dell Support Assist, Driver Update, Dell Backup and other bloatware.  Also noticed this scheduled task for SmartByte Telemetry in Task Scheduler that apparently phones home with only God and Dell know what information it is collecting and sending all the whilst making my new i5 run like a 1999 Celeron.  Delete, Delete Delete. 

PoisonPoison

10 Posts

May 31st, 2019 15:00

Holy Mackerels, 

What kind of sale did (Not So) SmartByte make to Dell?  Everything, anything but to admit is poo-poo software.Here is what they suggest you do...  For crying out loud in a Inspiron....

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Egads!  I want to work with my new Inspiron, not work on it.

This article describes network and potential audio performance issues with Inspiron systems running SmartByte software.

Inspiron systems running the SmartByte application may encounter slow network performance or audio issues. To determine whether the issue is caused by SmartByte, and to correct the issue, the following debugging steps are recommended.

The SmartByte application is supported on most Inspiron, G3, G5 and G7 computers running Windows 10.

Note: Bookmark this article as rebooting the computer may be needed.
Note: Intel has a known wireless issue that can cause similar symptoms. Dell recommends downloading and updating to the latest wireless driver from the Dell Driver Support Site: https://www.dell.com/support/home

1. Test network performance and record the result for comparison during the following troubleshooting steps.
  2. Update the system BIOS and Windows 10:
    1. Update the system BIOS to the latest revision available from dell.com/support/home. For more information refer to Dell Knowledge base article Dell BIOS Updates.
    2. Ensure your system is running Windows 10 version 14393.0 or higher.
    • To determine what version of Windows you are on, perform the following steps:
      1. Press and hold the Windows (Windows Button) key, and then press the q key.
      2. In the Search box, type winver.
      3. Touch or click winver (Run command).
      4. Locate the OS Build number in parentheses.
        Note: When the OS Build is lower than 14393.0, you can download the latest update for Windows 10 from the Microsoft website. External Link
      5. Test network performance and record the result.

3. Update system drivers:
    1. For more information refer to Dell Knowledge base article How to Download and Install a Driver
      NOTE: This article describes installing the Dell SupportAssist application that provides automated detection, download and installation of outdated drivers.
    2. Reboot the computer after each driver installation if prompted.
    3. Test network performance and record the result.

4. Update the SmartByte Application:
    1. Download updates at: support.rivetnetworks.com.
    2. Test network performance and record the result.

5. Run the Dell SupportAssist Optimize Network application:
    1. Press and hold the Windows (Windows Button) key, and then press the q key.
    2. In the search box type, supportassist.
    3. Touch or click SupportAssist (Desktop app).
    4. Touch or click Optimize My System.
    5. Touch or click Optimize Network.
    6. Touch or click Run Now.
    7. After the Optimize Network is finished (the status bar will read 100%) touch or click the History tab.
    8. Touch or click the latest listing of Optimize Network (Manual) to review the results.
    9. Test network performance and record the result.

Continued....

June 16th, 2019 00:00

Here is what I wrote in my feedback response to  https://support.smartbytetechnology.com/knowledge-base/issues-with-smartbyte-connectivity-or-other/ 

You are obviously in complete denial about the disastrous impact your software has. It is simply delusional to attribute the massive reduction I experienced in my download speed (from a rock solid 50 Mbps to 11 Mbps and declining) to the need to update Intel drivers. This rotten experience was using a cable not Wi Fi and with all my drivers completely up to date. My problem was solved immediately I uninstalled your software. As far as I am concerned your beta testing process is wholly inadequate - I am, after all, running an Inspiron PC with default settings and hardware and Microsoft Office with very little else - and Dell has made a major commercial error in allowing you to treat its customers as unwitting experimental subjects.

I would simply add the likelihood of me buying another machine from Dell has declined as fast as my download speed did after they installed the latest and greatest version of SmartByte. 

1 Message

June 27th, 2019 15:00

I had exactly the same problem.  I bought 200 mps from an internet provider, but my Dell all-in-one was only getting about 40.  The tech rep could not figure out the problem and scheduled a service call.  Along the way, she mentioned that older computers have internet cards that cap speeds below 100 mps.  I have an older Dell laptop, which ironically, was getting higher download/upload speeds than my new desktop.  Researching my old laptop I stumbled across the SmartByte problem, with instructions how to disable it.  Having disabled SmartByte, my speeds tripled on the desktop.  My laptop did not have the service, so it stayed the same.  However, my download/upload speeds are still significantly lower than I should be getting, so I have to wonder what else Dell had put into its desktops that prevent fast internet speeds.  I have always had good luck with Dell as far as reliability and longevity, but this fiasco makes me wonder whether I want to stay with them.  

1 Message

July 13th, 2019 04:00

What is Smartbye supposed to be doing? It’s worse than an actual virus AND is a completely unnecessary piece of bloatware software.

It’s also somehow intercepting ssl connection data (or at least throttling them) - again for no good reason.  Dell should stop distributing this software immediately.  No software should be tinkering with ssl or its connectivity timeouts.

I’ve just worked on a dell 7000 laptop which took 2+ hours longer to setup because of this inbuilt cr*p software. When running, ssl connections (which are required to setup a laptop) they get blocked/reset throwing an “ssl reset” error.  Only once smartbyte and smartbyte drivers / services were un-installed - did ssl start behaving.  

Dell, do your due diligence and test your machine images!

2 Posts

July 16th, 2019 11:00

I had similar issues.  It's a brand new Dell i5 8400 and the download (over hard-wired ethernet) is 20Mbps.  I thought it was the modem, and then the router.  I updated all firmware and then discovered that the problem was unique to just my Dell Inspiron desktop. 

I did update the SmartByte software to the latest version, and now I have the same download speeds as other hard-connected Windows 10 devices.

For me, it appears the latest version of the software solves the issue, but it's pretty frustrating because the Dell Support reps (that answer the phone) don't seem to know they have this problem. 

I thank those who created and updated these two threads on this topic.  I spent hours trying to check ever piece of networking equipment and then discovered it's an issue with some **bleep** software Dell has installed.

2 Posts

July 17th, 2019 14:00

And another one with this issue. My brand new Inspiron 5477 AIO was getting a paltry 12Mbps max from my Virgin Media 100, videos would constantly stop and buffer, and occasional complete dropouts were common. Oddly enough, the Ookla speedtest app was reporting download speeds of ~110Mbps (which my Android devices were also getting) but the same test on speedtest.net via a web browser reported about 8Mbps. Thankfully, I found these posts and uninstalled Smartbyte, this immediately sorted the problem. How can Dell ship their otherwise excellent systems with this appalling software? It clearly doesn;t do what's intended, judging by the volume of complaints I'm seeing. P.s. uninstalling from the Apps section of settings seems to be the only way to get rid permanently.

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2019 18:00

Ditto my experiences due to this issue. My personal opinion is Dell is probably ignoring this problem because they have signed some type of license agreement with Rivet even though Smartbytes corrupts and degrades a whole product line of perfectly good hardware. Dell's product management team have probably chosen to hide behind the lawyers exchanging emails why customer service calls are so high due to this crappy software all the while reassuring each other they are doing the right thing. Dell - CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

1 Message

August 2nd, 2019 12:00

It wasn't just network speed that was affected, unless re-tries were causing a huge overall system load. Shortly after I took delivery on my Inspiron desktop, when it had seemed pretty fast, it slowed dramatically and was beating my hard drive to death. When I contacted support they said it was probably a lot of system updates, since this machine had been on the shelf for a few weeks. I checked updates and made sure they had all finished, and it was still behaving badly. Months later when I was looking through installed apps for clues, I stumbled across forum posts about Smartbyte. I removed it and got a dramatic increase in network and overall performance. Because some forum writers indicated that it would be back in a day or two after removal, I also removed Dell Digital Delivery. It has not come back, and since I don't order software from Dell, Digital Delivery is pretty much bloatware, so far as I can tell.

1 Message

September 18th, 2019 11:00

On my Dell Inspiron 3650 I has getting about 9Mbs on a 300Mbs Internet service, connected via Ethernet. The HP laptop sitting on my desk connected to the same switch via Ethernet gets 115Mbs download.ubl

I spent a day troubleshooting the Dell and came to the conclusion that it was something on the Dell. I was comparing side by side the startup services, HP laptop to Dell desktop, and saw SmartByte on the Dell. I did a quick search and found the thread in this forum recommending removal of SmartByte.

I removed SmartByte, rebooted, and speeds on the Dell now match the HP which is OK for my LAN.

Now I'll keep my fingers crossed that SmartByte doesn't come back.

October 27th, 2019 00:00

Thanks for restarting this thread !

DELL SUPPORT - Wake the Heck UP!!!!

This is unacceptable!

The hours we have collective lost trying to find the problem, the businesses you've affected - complete and utter horse apples!

This is after I also spent weeks trying to fix my Inspiron 5770 - only to find out i cannot use OEM like parts, that we must install actual OEM parts that DELL itself no longer carries, only one-off  hard to find part purveyors, who don't rush ship anything.

Thanks DELL for making it so freaking hard to own and maintain something I paid decent money for.

just awful!!!!!!!

1 Message

December 21st, 2019 09:00

When I finally chased this down as the cause of my problems and removed it, my download speed went from 6.6Mbps to 320Mbps. If it reinstalls itself I'm going to quarantine it in my antivirus.

1 Message

December 24th, 2019 10:00

I was getting 10Mbps download speeds plugged into my router (and wireless) on an Inspiron 15-7586 2-in-1. When I plugged directly into the cable modem I got 100Mbps. Spent an hour troubleshooting the router, then started looking at the software installed on the Dell. The culprit was the pre-installed SmartByte software (by Rivet). Once disabled/uninstalled I got the expected 400Mbps download. This piece of pre-installed software wasted hours of my time!

1 Message

January 2nd, 2020 06:00

Purchased 2 Inspiron 3761 systems.  Download speeds were terrible over wifi, my kids couldn't even get Roblox to load.  Watching the network traffic graphs on the system with Task Manager showed the system downloading bursts of data and then stopping. 

After some searches I came across one of the threads on the SmartByte software and decided to uninstall it.  The system works great now, this software doesn't belong on a system with even a moderately fast internet connection by today's standards.

Speed test results with SmartByte were around 14Mbps, after uninstall speeds were in the 40s-50s.  Watching the traffic graphs in Task Manager after uninstall showed traffic was downloading at steady speeds without any of the bursts I noted before removal.

Hours of frustration, thanks Dell.  I was very close to re-formating and re-installing.

January 2nd, 2020 12:00

Count me as another person who removed Smartbyte.  Had AT&T out to the house to find out why my hardwired PC could only download at a max 10Mbps when I had 50Mbps service.  The tech replaced the Ethernet cable (which may have had a small issue) and his test device registered nearly 50Mbps.  I rebooted my PC and it also measured 50Mbps.  After the tech left (about 5 min), I reran the test and speed dropped back to 10Mbps.  Spent at least two hours updating every driver and searching like mad trying to figure out what was wrong and came upon this thread.  Thanks to all for warning me.  I'm hopeful it won't reinstall, but, at this point, I don't trust Dell!

January 6th, 2020 09:00

Thank you for all the feedback and input in this thread. We encourage updating to the latest version on our website. We also ask users that are reporting the issue to provide the following information to their post as it is required to help resolve any issues that occur. 

• Exact System Model
  • Version of SmartByte that was loaded showing the issue.
  • Feedback on if this is a issue with the latest version. (2.5.731)

Thank you again for your time and patience.

Nicholas.

No Events found!