Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2009 10:00

Blocking of internet connection?

Hi there,

I'm using a Dell vostro vista and having problems connecting to the internet. The wireless internet at my place is called 'james' and I think I may have blocked it or something. The problem is that the computer is able to detect other wireless connections but not 'james.' I'm not really good with the computer but I tried to run some tests. I ran the connection diagnostic test and it failed on the association part. Any ideas on how I could connect to 'james' again? I was able to connect in the morning and suddenly I just lost connection. Other people using the internet doesn't seem to be having the problem

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 26th, 2009 10:00

ppawijit,

First try..

How to login to your wireless router

Once you know the default gateway, the you can press the reset button in the back of the router and hold it for 30 seconds. this will reset the wireless router back to factory settings.

Attach your computer to one of the numbered ports using an ethernet cable. Type the default gateway number in the address bar of Internet Explorer. Make sure to use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings and follow the instructions. make sure do NOT use Mac Address filtering.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 26th, 2009 11:00

This is very difficult to diagnose without any info about your setup. You might get a friend to help you since networking can be very difficult for a novice. Let me try this--the network you are using needs to belong to you or provided by your school or office, not James. Wireless networks are transmitted thru the air but you are not supposed to use someone else's connection. My guess is that James finally put security on his network, so you cannot access it. You need to have your own broadband modem, wireless router with your own security password and your own Internet Service Provider. If that doesn't describe your setup, repost and explain your situation.

4 Posts

September 26th, 2009 12:00

Thanks for the fast response. I tried typing ipconfig /all into the CMD already and it says that the wireless LAN adapter wireless network connection  media state is media disconnected. Does this mean that I have to enable or connect something?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 26th, 2009 13:00

ppawijit,

Not sure if this will work.

Start control panel, networking and sharing center. Click on view statis, wireless properties. I have the top two boxes checked, you might want to check all three and see what happens.

Did you try using WinSock XP Fix and see if it helps to correct the problem?

Rick

4 Posts

September 26th, 2009 13:00

james is the name of the network here. The problem is that my computer cannot detect the network although it is able to detect other networks in the vicinity. I tried setting it up manually but still it won't detect. Even when I was using that network just fine a few days ago.

4 Posts

September 26th, 2009 14:00

Rick,

I couldn't find the view statis. Could it be because I'm using vista? I'll try the winsock xp fix, but not sure whether it'll work with vista or not.

thank you so much for your replies

No Events found!