Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2008 22:00

Can WLAN 802.11n connect to a 802.11g router?

Just got a new Inspiron 1420 with   VISTA and a 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN mini-card.  But my router is a 2.4 GHz 802.11g (which has worked fine for my other Dell laptop but not the new one).  I have not been able to every get it to connect wirelessly even though I can get it to sometimes show that there is an address that is wireless that is ours.  I have the switch on.  The Linksys router is connected through the desktop computer.  Do I need a new router that can handle the 802.11n card??
Thanks
Mag

14.4K Posts

January 8th, 2008 23:00

Although they are supposed to be backward compatiable not all "N" and "G" equipment play together well..
I never could get a solid wireless connection with my Linksys WRT54G and my Dlink N adapter card.
I think that this is a common issue with linksys "G" routers...

Message Edited by Davet50 on 01-08-2008 08:39 PM

243 Posts

April 14th, 2008 21:00

I think it's more of an issue of compatibility between manufacturers rather than an issue of compaitbility between Wireless N cards and Wireless G routers or vica versa.

A Dlink Wireless N card will work with a Dlink G router and a Netgear wireless N card will work with a Netgear wireless G router etc. The is no card or router that is currently N only - they all support G. It's just a matter of if the manufacterers play well together. With G being finalised and you should find that in most cases compatibility is not a problem although some matches will have worse performance than others.

No Events found!