This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 5th, 2012 20:00

Can't Connect to Internet after Hibernation Resume

Hello,

I have a Dell Vostro 460 with 4GB RAM running the latest version of Windows 7 Professional (64-bit). So far it’s been ultra-reliable. It, and two other laptops, are connected via network cables to a D-Link wireless ADSL modem/router (DSL-G604T).

However, during the last three weeks when I wake up the computer from hibernation, I am unable to connect to the Internet. The network connection icon states “Not connected. No connections are available”.

The only way I can resume my Internet access is to either re-boot the computer or, more often, turn the computer off and then turn it on again. Sometime the re-booting or switching off and on takes several attempts until the computer re-connects to the Internet. Today, it took 20 re-starts!

I also have a netbook which connects to the Internet and my brother’s computer also has no trouble connecting to the Internet using the same modem.

Would anyone have any clues as to what’s causing the problem?

Many thanks.

PS. I've checked this forum for a solution but most of the questions appear to relate to wireless connections not a cable connection.

May 5th, 2012 21:00

Fredtogo,

Try this tweak...

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 7th, 2012 23:00

Hello Rick,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

Unfortunately it didn't work.

However, after a bit of research on the Dell support site,  I've discovered it's a common problem with the Vostro 460s and can be traced back to a motherboard fault (see en.community.dell.com/.../20046561.aspx).

At present I have to unplug the 460 for 10 minutes and then re-start, and then it connects. But this still doesn't cure the hibernation problem.

So I'll contact Dell support and badger them.

Once again thanks for your help!

Adrian.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 9th, 2012 13:00

Adrian,

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get everything back to normal.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

May 9th, 2012 13:00

I have a Vostro 460 as well and had a similar issue - no network connection, etc. - turns out motherboard was the problem and I  called Dell and they sent out a tech and replaced the motherboard. Works like it should now!

No Events found!