Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 28th, 2010 20:00

Can't enable wireless adapter

Hi All,

I have a 5 month old Dell Inspiron 1564 with a Dell WLAN 1397 Wireless card. I was having some trouble connecting to my wireless router, and as a last attempt to get it working, I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for my wireless card, using a fresh download of the latest version from Dell's support site.

The driver seems to install fine, and when I look at the wireless card in Device Manager, it's enabled, but in "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections" (which can be accessed through the Network and Sharing Center), it is grayed out and says Disabled.

When I click enable in there, a small window pops us saying "Enabling", then after a few seconds, it says "Enabled" then disappears. However, the adapter stays disabled in N/W & Sharing center, and isn't picked up by Windows.

I've tried reinstalling the driver through Dell's driver installer, as well as through Windows' automated driver search, and neither works. I also tried to do a System Restore, but that is not working (can't complete on any of the restore points).

I also spent 1.5 hours on the phone with Dell support and their final advice was format and reinstall Windows.

The same issue is reported here and here, with no apparent resolution. Can anyone offer any advice that I haven't already tried? Thanks!

More details:
- I am running Win 7 Pro.
- Wired networking and internet connection works fine
- I have Zone Alarm and Avast Anti virus, and I've tried disabling both to no avail

The same problem has been posted by others here, here, here, and here. It seems to happen with various NW card brands.

7 Posts

July 31st, 2010 10:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I actually got my wireless working today. The steps I followed are as follows, keeping in mind the stuff I had already tried as detailed in my original post:

- Uninstalled Zone Alarm and Avast Antivirus.
- Rebooted into Safe Mode.
- Uninstalled WLAN 1397 Driver from Device Manager.
- Uninstalled Dell Wireless card manager from Control Panel>Programs.
- Rebooted into Safe Mode again.
- Reinstalled latest 1397 driver package from Dell (R237742.exe)
- Rebooted into Safe mode again to verify that the adapter was at least showing Enabled in Safe Mode, which it was.
- Rebooted normally to find adapter showing enabled.

Now I'm just back to where I was before, being unable to connect to my router, but I do not suspect my computer or wireless card at the moment because I have four wireless devices in the house (this new Dell laptop, another 4 year old Dell laptop, an 8-month old Sony VAIO and a 6-month old iPhone 3GS). Of all those devices, the only one that will connect to my router is the Sony, so I think I've got router issues as well. I'll probably start another thread on that topic, just to keep this thread focused.

So, to recap, for anyone having the issue where your wireless card is showing disabled in Network and Sharing Center, and right-click Enabling it does not work even after reinstalling the latest drivers, I would recommend exploring two options:
- Disabling or uninstalling any Firewall or Antivirus software
- Uninstalling then reinstalling the wireless drivers in Safe Mode
If you're interested in narrowing the problem down a bit, I'd recommend trying these separately, probably the Safe Mode option first.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 28th, 2010 20:00

spsilk,

Try going to device manager, network, your nework adapter, advanced and change the antenna diversity from Auto to Aux, the restart your computer.

Rick

7 Posts

July 29th, 2010 09:00

Try going to device manager, network, your nework adapter, advanced and change the antenna diversity from Auto to Aux, the restart your computer.

I tried your suggestion, it did not seem to change the situation at all. The adapter is still grayed out in NW & Sharing center. I am currently connected by ethernet cable to my router. If I unplug that, normally the wired connection icon in the taskbar should disappear and be replaced by a wireless icon. This does not happen now; instead the wired connection just gets a red X over it.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 29th, 2010 12:00

spsilk,

When you installed Windows 7, did you install the drivers in order? How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems If you could not find Windows 7 drivers, try installing the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode.

Right click on the drivers file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

7 Posts

July 29th, 2010 13:00

When you installed Windows 7, did you install the drivers in order? How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems If you could not find Windows 7 drivers, try installing the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode.

Right click on the drivers file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

I'm not sure what order I originally installed them in, but the wireless was functioning fine for about 5 months. Then, I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it and started having this problem. Does that mean I need to uninstall all my drivers and reinstall in the order specified in the link you provided?

Anyway, I tried your suggestion of installing the driver in Vista Compatibility mode, this did not solve the problem.

I thought I'd see if I could provide some more info.

Here is a screenshot of my device manager and NW & Sharing center side by side, showing the Disabled adapter in NW & Sharing:

When I click Enable, I see the following two windows pop up in this order:

After the Enabled window goes away, the adapter stays grayed out. When I choose Diagnose this connection, Windows tells me it has found problems with the driver, and I get the following detailed information:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 31st, 2010 15:00

spsilk,

How to login to your wireless router and try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. I'd change the SSID to make the new connection easier to connect.

Rick 

August 1st, 2010 07:00

I am glad your wireless connection finally worked but just want to say, if the connections goes down then remember to:

A) Did you update your Systems BIOS (Inspiron 1564)? I found a new BIOS for your PC which was released on 27/5/2010 (Dell Inspiron 1564 System BIOS, A08), including other drivers as well.

B) Ensure there are no metal around the wireless device close by to allow the signal to pass unimpeded. Sometimes signal that are blocking the way can cause the connection to cut-off.

C) Ensure you do updated your network connection driver(s) for sure. If not updated then your wireless may not work in the future. Some people think its pointless of installing drivers that may not be useful for their system, but as time passes by and if lets say they realise something is wrong with their system and someone asked if they installed the latest drivers for their PC then of course, they would understand how useful it is to update all your drivers on your PC.

D) It is better to have at least 1 connection and not to many connections left open. At the moment, I have 2 connecitons: LAN and WIRELESS. I can still connect to internet wirelessly without going through the safe mode. If have more then 1 connection then disable the other connection leaving 1 of the enabled.

E) If your computer still can't connect to wireless, go to the Start Button, and do a Right Click on My Computer. Select Manage and in the Computer Management window, select Device Manager. If the green network adapter icon is missing then the driver for the wireless card or adapter needs to be installed. If the network adapter icon has a red "X" or a yellow triangle with exclamation mark, then the driver needs to be removed and reinstalled.

I hope your wireless connection works out well for you without anymore problems in the future.

1 Message

January 1st, 2013 16:00

hi eveybody

i have a problem connecting to the internet by the wi fi, i upgraded the dell wireless card and adapter software what should i do?

1 Message

November 27th, 2013 10:00

This didn't fix my problem.  However, I found a solution, and it involves temporarily bridging the wireless and lan connections (then unbridging). See http://technopaideia.blogspot.com/2013/11/frustrating-but-ultimately-successful.html

1 Message

January 7th, 2016 05:00

i knew tahat this soaftwere can catch the wifi without password

1 Message

November 21st, 2016 17:00

Hi Spsilk,

Thanks a lot for posting your solution. This worked for me with exactly the same issue on a Dell Latitude E7250.

Cheers!

Trev

No Events found!