Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2003 14:00

Configuring for Wifi under WinME

I use a D-Link AirPlus network which up to now has linked my home Dimension desktop and an Inspiron laptop, both running under WinXP. Now we wish to add another Inspiron laptop running WinME, using a D-Link DWL650+ card. My problem is configuring the ME machine with our WEP encryption code.

On all three machines, it has always been difficult to access the D-Link Airplus utility program that is intended for use in configuring the Wifi network. Under both XP and ME, clicking the desktop icon gets just an error tone, as does accessing the file through WinExplorer. Clicking a D-Link bar chart icon in the systray under XP brings up, apparently not the D-Link utility program but a Windows-generated "Wireless Networking" window which has much less total functionality than the D-Link utility but it does allow me to enter the encryption code. I can also access the same window through Control Panel networking routes.

With WinME, however, clicking the same systray icon does nothing, nor can I find an equivalent "Wireless Networking" window through Control Panel.

Can anyone advise how to enter the encryption code? D-Link (email) tech support has been next to useless, although I suspect this must be a common problem.

7.3K Posts

November 5th, 2003 01:00

You have to use the D-Link AirPlus Utility under Win98, Me, and 2k.  Get the latest driver and utility here.  Remove the old software first before using the new.  The reason it dings and won't open is it does not correctly see the 650+ card.  To confirm that, look in the Device Manager (maybe under Network Adapters) for a yellow !.  If that is so, you need to get the card identified before you can open and use the AirPlus utility to enter the WEP key.
No Events found!