Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2009 07:00

Connected to wireless network unable to browse

Ok I have been at this for months. I am connected to a home wireless network. I connect fine but cannot do any browsing. There are only a few random sites that I can browse. I cannot use my yahoo messenger, web pages do not load, and I have tried everything. I have done pinging and that comes out fine, hardware is fine. I have Vista Home OS 32 bit with a Dell Insprion 1525 laptop.  I have done the ipconfig thing. winsock, dns check and god only knows everything I can think of and read about. I have called Dell numerous times and they did not help. Best Buy has done what they can do. If there is anyone out there that knows a solution please let me know. Oh and also did the restore and then ended up dumping and reloading OS and again same thing. HELP!!!!:emotion-9:

11 Posts

February 4th, 2009 08:00

What happens if you connect using a cat5 cable and turn the wireless off. What do you have in the way of a router,  do you have windows firewall on ? 

14 Posts

February 4th, 2009 09:00

I have connected hardwire and it works, does not work when unplugged from router. It is a netgear router. I have done firewalls off and on and still unable to browse. I have done the ipconfig renew and release, just about everything i can think of. I am thinking I might be missing a drriver maybe or something.

11 Posts

February 4th, 2009 10:00

I don't think routers have drivers....they have set up programs....maybe you should try the basic settings in the router, you might have the firewall set toooo extreme

14 Posts

Hmmmm where can I find the set up program? Sorry but when I get to this point of configuration I get a bit lost. andd how can I find out if my firewall is set to high? I am actually at another location with my laptop to access internet. When I get home thats when I cannot browse. I can open email but that is about all I can do when home. Thank you for all your responses I am happy that there is someone out there that has a clue as to what I have been through..

48 Posts

thats probally it there im using a netgear router to connecto to a home wireless network and i had much the same problem as this until i installed the drivers for the router

14 Posts

Thank you for response but not to sound stupid where can I get drivers for router?

11 Posts

February 4th, 2009 11:00

you really do not need the set up program...if you want to know what is going on and be able to figure stuff out on your own, manual config

first you have to access the web page of your router, click start, in run type cmd, then enter ,,,, you now have a open dos window, type ipconfig/all then hit enter, scroll and look for your gateway ip address. type this ip into your browser it should open up the routers web page

first before doing this go to the manufacturer of your router's web site and go to support and download the setup guide, not the software

it should tell you the default user name and password, the guide is good, you may have to reset your router which may wipe out your settings if someone has configured your routers password.

14 Posts

February 6th, 2009 07:00

Hi again, I was unable to load webpage at home to do this. When I put in the gateway IP address it just kept trying to load as is my problem with everything. I can get page to choose a site, however when I click on site it does not open. The router is up in Landlords house and they are away so I cannot get to the router. Any more Ideas? I know the PW for router.

107 Posts

February 6th, 2009 19:00

you should never try to configure a router wirelssly...always connect with a CAT5 cable to the router. It is beginning to sound like it is the router. either a config issue or needs resetting...if you do reset the router will go back to the way it was when new...it will have to be reconfigured...depending on your isp...broadband too.

February 6th, 2009 21:00

Hello,  well talk about irony. I am also having problems browsing on the internet. I can connect to the internet using a wireless connection to the router that is also at my landlords place. I was able to browse using her router until recently I had my computer sent away for repairs. They replaced the keyboard and the internal battery. The first day I got my laptop (dell xps m1530 with vista) back I was unable to browse but was connected. I went to my landlords and reset the router but I am still having the same problem. In the devive manager under network adaptors I have an error message next to the 6to4 adaptor (error code 31). When I check properties it tells me device not working unable to load drivers to operate. I also took to best buy and they were able to browse without any problems. I wonder if when they replaced my battery if that may have reset some settings to default. It seems like when I first bought computer I had some issues with the ip address reading my router. I believe dell had to give me a different ip address to recognize the router. not sure though. Oh and my landlord is also out of town but doesnt lock her door. please help bail me out before I collapse. I cant wait for congress.lol

14 Posts

February 7th, 2009 06:00

Thank god...I thought it was just me having problem. LA1 seems to be very helpful although my situation is not solved yet, he gives great advice and I may have to wait til landlords get back to see about router issue. Hopefully we will eventually come up with a solution. Keep posting and if you get resolution please share...LOL

14 Posts

February 7th, 2009 06:00

OOOps.....just one thing that when landlords got wireless I did not have to hook up to router to connect. I just found the wireless and connected. Do you still think I need to connect to router? Sorry don't mean to sound stupid.

107 Posts

February 7th, 2009 07:00

LA1 and GREENTURTLE are the same poster, LA1 is my home account, GREENTURTLE is my work account :emotion-2:

So your landlord does not know you are surfing in on his broadband...actually that may be illegal in some areas. Maybe you should tell him that you JUST FOUND his wireless connection and if he/she would not mind you using it,,,maybe offer some small monthly payment, then come back an hour or so later and tell them you can not display web pages....didn't you say you had the password to the router? how did you get it?

107 Posts

bail-me-out  when best buy said they could surf the net...did you actually SEE that or did they tell you that. so in device manager what is not working ?

107 Posts

I thought you said when you were away , like at work or whatever the notebook would display web pages just not at home using the router

No Events found!