Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2013 12:00

Connections problems getting onto the Internet with Dell Inspiron 15 3521

We purchased this laptop yesterday (August 24), and we have Windows 8.

This computer is having difficulty remaining connected to the Internet via a wireless connection.

When we connect, it works for a few minutes (between 2-15 minutes) before the Internet connection seems to quit on us.  Web sites no longer load, and we get errors saying that the computer could not connect to the internet.

Running the network troubleshooter, the computers comes up with the problem "Default Gateway is not available."  It resets the router, and we have connection to the internet again.  However, a few minutes later, it quits working again.

By itself, I would have thought this problem is a problem with the router.  Unfortunately, however, our other devices (a security camera, the Apple laptop I'm typing this message on right now, a Roku, and two phones) all seem to be working fine, and have been working fine while the Dell laptop is having issues.

Can anyone help?  I would appreciate it.

August 25th, 2013 14:00

Things we've done:

1) Network Troubleshooter.  Said it fixed the problem, but after a few minutes the problem returns.

2) We disabled the Bluetooth in the device manager (based on a possible solution presented in these forums).  This did not seem to have any effect.

3) We checked for updated drivers through the device manager for the wireless network adapter.  It stated that our drivers were up to date.

4) We attempted to use Dell's support to check for updated drivers throughout the laptop.  It does not appear to be working for us-- we get to the point where it downloads the program that will do the diagnostic, but when we click on it to open/install it after it is downloaded, nothing happens.  Several minutes later, the Dell website states that it failed to check our system.

September 1st, 2013 12:00

by the way what is up with the Dell support system. Shouldn't they have replied here to your issues?

Thanks Dell lol

September 1st, 2013 12:00

Thanks for your posting. i just bought the same laptop this past friday, two days ago brand new right out of the box at best buy, and i have been having the same problems. It is very annoying. It has disconnected me multiple times yesterday and many times already today is only 1pm. The only thing that i have done was to remove the McCafee virus scan from the laptop. And i installed Webroot, which worked well on a previous INspiron and all my home computers. i read that as a solution online. I did tha and i am still having the wifi disconnection problems.

I will the call the dell technicians to see if they will help and do the things you mentioned above and see if it works for mine.

I will hang to it for just one week, but i have a feeling the problems will persist since you have done more than what i have done.

please keep me posted if you have tried anything new.

Thanks Dell lol

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 1st, 2013 13:00

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and REGISTERED OWNER and post the information back here.

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Make and model of your wireless router, type of security and channel.

Rick

September 2nd, 2013 12:00

Thanks Rick for trying to help the cause. But this is totally ridiculous. I read so many good reviews online about this computer that makes me feel its a Dell marketing team posting all these FAKE good reviews. Thanks for your attempt to help, but this a 3 day old computer and I should not have any problems at all. If it was out of warranty or I couldn't return it then I would send you all that information you requested. But this piece of *** Inspiron is going back to Best Buy this week, let some other sucker buy it as an "open boxed" item at the store for a discount. The new buyer deserves the discount to buy this junk. I had 3 disconnections in less than an hour and half today, insane. It sucks because I bought this Inspiron to replace my old that I had for 4 years and worked wonderfully. How could Dell's quality go so far down in 4 years is beyond me. For anyone reading this post. Do NOT buy the Dell Inspiron Model # I15RV-477BLK...Pure Junk.

September 2nd, 2013 13:00

Thanks rick, i will give it one shot and one shot only lol later tonight or tomorrow night. I will let you know how it goes.  Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2013 13:00

Glorious Walrus,

Some adapters need a little tweak with their settings. If I knew the adapter involved, I may add more information.

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then select your operating system. Under Network, download and install the latest drivers.

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

No Events found!