Highlighted
Not applicable

RE: Constantly need to "reset wireless network adapter"

Jump to solution

Well, not being a techie, most of your advice is well over my head.  However the one I do understand, seems unlikely.  I have half a dozen devices on my wireless network.  Only this one has the problem.  All others connect to the network without incident.  This points to the Windows 10 machine as the culprit, not the router.  Dell suggested updating drivers.  Hopefully this will solve the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi All, I have the same problem. After a few minutes of connecting my Dell laptop to Netgear wireless network, the whole network shuts down and I have to restart the router. It seems unlikely that the wireless adapter would somehow send a command the router to shut down, Has anyone checked if it could be because of security settings on the router? The only explanation I can think of, is that Dell wireless adapter sends some kind of signal or message which appears to be a security threat and so, the router shuts down. It could be in the security policy which is preset so I can not change it. I can only change the security level to low, medium or high. Any help on this??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I am totally not a computer person so I just arrived at this answer by Googling and guessing... it may be wrong, but this is what I did and it seems to have worked...

On my desktop computer, I right clicked on the wireless icon in the task bar, then clicking on "Change adapter settings" on the left hand side of the window that opened up. From there, right click on "WiFi" and select "Properties", then click on "Configure" and select the "Advanced" tab. There is a list of properties, one of which was (on my computer, anyway) "802.11n Preamble", which I changed from "Auto" to "Mixed mode"... my wireless connection was restored immediately, although that was only about 10 minutes ago so will see if it lasts!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Defeating the "n" mode has also be successful

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you KirkD.  I'm using Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron 5755 which has given me sleepless nights in diverse ways since acquisition in Nov. 2015.  Your suggestions yielded a Halloween treat. 

I used your primary open address suggestion with good effect, then went looking for the "n" mode.  Could not find it!  HOWEVER -- and this may be a Halloween treat I can offer to others experiencing "Network Adapter" failure -- in my search in Device Manager, while viewing  Properties for my Network Adapter (right click on Dell WIreless...) I noticed a Tab for "Power Management."  There I discovered an option to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.  IT WAS CHECKED.  I unchecked it, and the problem evaporated.  I suggest a look at properties in other devices.  I found the same evil option in two other devices, but this probably varies system to system.  Hope it helps.

Since I alluded to continuing issues I'll mention that while writing this reply I experienced four instances of the "ERRATIC JUMPING CURSOR" problem which has plagued me for nearly a year.  Dell Technical Support made valiant efforts to remedy it, including two trips (for the computer) to Texas.  It is still an ongoing and recurring problem.   It's like buying a car, then having it spontaneously veer onto the shoulder every few miles.  Usually you can get back on the road, but sometimes there's some damage, and always there's injury to that most valuable commodity -- time.

Pros_Cons (October 31, 2016)

Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Go9d work! This power saving option has given problems with other hardware.

For the jumping cursor,there are touchpad options and alternate drivers that can help. However, many laptops are now using a touchpad specified by Microsoft, called a Precision Touchpad. The driver for this pad is part of the Win 10 (and 😎 Operating System, and add-in drivers will not work. Don't know if the 5755 has this pad; sometimes hard to find out this info.  Best thing to try is a free utility, TouchFreeze. This utility turns the pad off when you begin to type, and back on when you stop. Thus is a cure for "danglingfingeritus" which is thecause of many of these problems. With some pads, their sensitivity is so high that you don't need to actually touch the pad, just hover over it with your hand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

When I had Windows 7 I didn't have any problems with my wireless adaptor needing to be reset...ever.  I now have Windows 10 and my wireless adaptor was driving me crazy needing a reset every time I logged on.  BUT!!!!!   I found the cure for at least my laptop.  RB=right button, LB=left button.

(1) (RB) the start icon on your desktop and LB select "Network Connections"..

(2) (LB) double click on your Wi-Fi connection.

(3) (LB) select "Properties" at the bottom of the window.

(4) (LB) select "Configure".

(5) (LB) select "Power Management".

(6) Un-check "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

My wireless adaptor hasn't needed a reset since and it has been weeks since I did this.  I hope it works for you too.,

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I agree this is the best answer.  Now for the path.   (RB=right mouse button)

(1) RB the Start icon

(2) Select "Network Connections"

(3) RB your Wi-Fi icon and then select "Properties"

(4) Select "Configure"

(5) Select "Power Management"  and un-check the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I had the same problem with my Dell, but only when using it in my beach house. I noticed however that the wireless connection was lost only when the adapter was idle - for instance when I was reading a page on the internet. I then went into device manager/Wireless adapter/Power Management and unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". That DID NOT solve the problem. I went back to device manager/wirelss adapter/advanced/Ad Hoc Channel 802.11 b/g and changed the channel default value from 1 to 2. The problem apparently went away! Wow))

Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Channels 1 and 2 overlap in frequency. You could still have problems. Channels 6 or 11 are better selections to use here. Problem is usually interference from things like wireless phones which are on the same frequency.

0 Kudos