Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2015 10:00

Creating Network Bridge in Windows 7 on wired port causes cable unplugged

So I created a Microsoft Loopback interface and tried to create a Network Bridge in Windows 7 with the wired Ethernet port on my E7440 laptop.  But once the bridge is created and the interfaces added, the Ethernet port says 'cable unplugged'.  If I take the interface out of the bridge, it sits there for quite a while before it says it is active again.

I'm pretty sure I have been able to do this on other PCs.  Is there something new here or a bug with this model?

Thanks,

Greg

1.8K Posts

April 9th, 2015 08:00

Hi Greg,

I don't know of anything specific to the E7440 that would cause that problem.  I would think any security software, or hardware, would block pings to the loopback address, not report it as cable unplugged.  I just wonder if there is something with the driver that is causing it?  (Since it sounds like without the loopback that the NIC is functioning correctly). 

The E7440 comes with Intel AMT for remote maintenance, but I wouldn't think it would block what you're trying to do.  And even if it did, then it still shouldn't give that media unplugged message.

To be honest, these forums aren't the best place to get answers to this sort of question.  We try to do best possible support but this might be an issue where you need to contact Dell's Tech Support and speak to the software agents who are more experienced in advanced software support.  

Sorry we couldn't be of more help to you.

Todd

No Events found!