Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 17th, 2005 03:00

D610/Intel 2200 disappearing

Hello,

I'm having a bizarre problem with a D610 laptop. I have 4 D610's identically configured. One machine is having an issue with its Intel 2200 wireless card. After the machine is on for a while (and sometimes even on a cold boot), the wireless card decides to vanish from the system. If the card is functioning at boot, after the machine is on for a while (20-30 minutes?) the machine will lock up for a bit, and then hitting device manager shows the card has disappeared.

I've tried running Dell's diagnostics, and it intermittently shows the card in the PCI Devices list in the Custom Test mode. On some boots it's there, and some it's not.

Now since I have 4 laptops configured identically, I swapped a card from a working laptop to the flakey laptop and the flakey laptop continues to behave the exact same way. So, I'm thinking it's a problem with the socket or motherboard, not the card.

After calling Dell, I was told that without anything failing in Dell Diagnostics, they couldn't replace anything for me. I was offered the option to ship it to the Dell Depot and have them take a look. While nothing is explicitly failing, the fact that the card doesn't show up in the Diagnostics should be enough to convince anyone that it's a hardware issue and not a software/XP issue.

Anyone else have an issue like this? Anything I can do to convince the tech's at Dell that I've tried the obvious fixes and even though the diagnostics passes, there's an issue here?

The only thing I can show is that the card, while installed in the machine, vanishes from Dell Diagnostics just like WinXP, but sporadically just like WinXP.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2006 11:00

Hello.  Were you able to determine root cause.  I am experiencing the same issue on a D610 purchased 12/05.

13 Posts

January 23rd, 2006 11:00

After sending it back to Dell once telling them not to swap the card out as that wasn't the issue, it was sent back to me with the card swapped out and it had the same issue. :)

After sending it back a second time, they replaced the motherboard and it's been working fine since then. Appeared to be a problem with the motherboard or connector as I had suspected.

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2006 23:00

Thanks, I think I bought your old motherboard.:smileyindifferent:
No Events found!