Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2015 05:00

DELL Wireless 1704 not working on Windows 10

Hello. I've switched to the new operating system and wireless connectivity works just as ***. I've done fresh install of the system, not upgrade. Tried both drivers from Windows Update and the latest provided for Windows 8.1 on DELL support site. None of them are working ok. Right now I'm writing from another PC, because my laptop can't find wireless network. And this is the second time since I've upgraded. It just disconnected and no more networks listed. Before that I was using Windows 7, and it worked well.

Hopefully to see new driver

1.8K Posts

August 4th, 2015 14:00

Hello,

Please let us know the following information and we'll try to help you.

• Model number of the Dell system you're using
  • Which version of Windows 7 you were using prior to the upgrade (32- or 64-bit versions)
  • Any error messages you see when trying to connect

When you did the fresh install, were you able to activate Windows 10?  And did you have Windows 7 service pack 1 installed on the system prior to the install?

Todd

3 Posts

August 9th, 2015 10:00

Hello

1) Model Inspiron 17 (5748, Mid 2013)

2) Windows 7 64 bit, SP1

3) No errors, it connects ok, but then suddenly disappears from available networks

My network reappears only when I reset WINSOCK entries.

Strange thing is that driver version is 6.30.223.256, and it has been released on 02.06.13. I've tried to install the latest driver provided by DELL, but no effect.

This problem occurs only on this device.

No problems with activation, and I don't see why this is important for WiFi connection.

Thanks.

17 Posts

September 5th, 2015 08:00

Since doing a Windows 10 clean install the value for "Hosted Network Supported" has been "No" for every driver I've tried with the 1704 WiFi adapter (I check issuing "netsh wlan show drivers").   Hosted networking was working after the upgrade, so know it is possible.  I just can't figure out what value is set wrong or which driver I need to use to support hosted networking.

When I attempt to start hosted network receive the following messages:

C:\Windows\system32>netsh wlan start hostednetwork

The hosted network couldn't be started.

The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.

17 Posts

September 6th, 2015 08:00

**ADDENDUM** I resolved this, at least, temporarily by finding the proper driver (dated 1/28/2014), the one that allowed hosted networking, in "C:\Windows.old\System32".  However am afraid a Windows Update might try to replace it with the current driver, which does not work.

No Events found!