Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 5th, 2012 16:00

Dell 1704 wireless card

My new 1704 works OK, but is not as fast or as good of signal strength as my other cards. what is the best optimization of the advanced features, and anything else to speed it up?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 13th, 2012 08:00

CHOMRICH,

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then select your operating system. Under Network, download and install the latest drivers.

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Click on advanced. Look for Antenna Diversity. Change Antenna Diversity from Auto to Aux

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

28 Posts

October 6th, 2012 05:00

Anyone else with issues?

677 Posts

October 11th, 2012 21:00

Hi CHOMRICH,

Updating the latest 'wireless' driver should fix the issue. The following link will help you downloading the latest 'Wireless' driver:

http://dell.to/RkFk2H

If the issue is not fixed, please reply to this post with the system model and the exact nature of the issue. This will help us to provide a faster resolution.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know in case of any queries.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

28 Posts

October 12th, 2012 05:00

Hi Harish,

I have a new 5720 with a 1704 card, built 9/17/12. It came preloaded with WLAN_6.20.55.51 driver and bios A09, both newer than what is available on the website. The card will start at excellent signal strength, 150mps speed, but quickly degrade to fair or poor, with speeds of 27 to 108 mps. Internet as measured by Speedtest is always slow, compared to my other laptops. If I disable WMM, internet speeds double, even at the 54 mps speed, but again quickly degrades, so I turned it back on. I have Bluetooth turned off, which helps. After much experimentation with advanced settings, I get the best results from, bandwith 20/40, bt-amp disabled, and minimum power consumption disabled, everything else default, Power management is unchecked in device manager, and maximum power is selected in power options. For reference, I use a Cisco E-1200 router which works flawlessly with my other laptops. Something is certainly wrong, but I can't figure it out. Help is appreciated.

28 Posts

October 12th, 2012 14:00

Still awaiting the Dell response.

28 Posts

October 13th, 2012 06:00

Anyone?

28 Posts

October 13th, 2012 08:00

Thanks Rick,

Have tried all the above except the antenna tweak. Either option reconnects at 150 mps excellent signal, then degrades to fair or poor within 30 seconds. One interesting point is I have never been dropped, regardless of signal strength.

28 Posts

October 13th, 2012 09:00

I have wpa2 personal security, and a Cisco e1200 router. this has gotten 300mps on other wireless cards.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 13th, 2012 09:00

CHOMRICH,

I just tried to look for the documentation for this adapter but could not locate it. I found the documentation for the other similar adapter that came out at the same time and it could be with the type of security you're using, maybe.

What is the make and model of your router? What type of security? What channel?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 13th, 2012 13:00

CHOMRICH,

Things to try...

Try changing from WPA2-AES to WPA2-PSK(TKIP) Security(Personal)

Try channel 11

Try turning off the firewall in the wireless router.

Some adapters do not like WPS and may need to be turned off.

Rick

October 14th, 2012 16:00

I have same issue with the 1704 on a 3360.  We have 2 other 3360's that use the 1703 wifi adapter, so presume the 1704 must a recent upgrade. Like you, will wait for updated driver to see if resolves issue.

28 Posts

October 14th, 2012 16:00

Tried all the above with no further improvement. Sure wish I knew optimal settings for all the advanced settings, but I can't find this 1704 manual either. Looks like I wait for a new driver, or talk to Dell about a swap for an Intel card. Appreciate your advice Rick, The silence of Dell tech support troubles me, like they have no answer either.

1 Message

October 29th, 2012 14:00

I have the 1704 wireless card on my Inspiron 15R 5520. It works fine when I am beside the router. When I go more than 10metres from the router it continually drops out. It's not a distance problem as my 5year old Dell 1501 works flawlessly in the same location! I have tried everything suggested by the Dell community but to no avail. Please Dell sort this problem out.

8 Posts

December 9th, 2012 06:00

I have a very similar problem with my Inspiron 15R 5520,  it works fine when I am beside the router. When I go more than 5 metres from the router it continually drops out.

I don't wist to have to sit beside the router for the lifetime of this laptop

When I purchased my laptop 2 weeks ago, I asked the about the dell wireless card and they said there was no difference between this and the intel card. Obviously there is!

I tried all the steps listed by RockSt☆r-Rick K in his first comment and there is no obvious improvement!

What difference should changing the Antenna Diversity from Auto to Aux make?

Am I entitled to a swap for an Intel card?

thanks.

Gabe

December 9th, 2012 13:00

We use a few these laptops for work, and tried different routers etc, with no luck.

I noticed on our most recent orders for these laptops Dell have switched back to the 1703 wifi card on the build list.

From the lack of updates of software drivers from Broadcom, we can only assume the 1704 has a design issue.

No Events found!