Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

March 1st, 2010 13:00

Dell 370 Bluetooth - Fails to find devices

Hi,

I have just installed a Dell 370 Bluetooth minicard in my Precision M6400.  It appears to install correctly using the most up to date driver from Dell (5.5.0.7800).  The blue icon resides in the taskbar and the device shows up under bluetooth devices in device manager.  Discoverable mode is enabled and the bluetooth service appears to be running.  However, when I scan for devices it fails to see the Dell BT mouse I am testing with.  I have verified that the mouse is functioning correctly using another PC with bluetooth.  Any suggestions for further troubleshooting?  I am using XP sp3.

thanks!

18 Posts

The device you are attempting to pair with must be set to discoverable mode as well.  If the device is not set as such, it will not be seen. 

Bobby

1 Message

You may be in trouble.  Received a new Studio running Windows 7 and BT worked for a few days then quit.  Wireless then quit too.  On site tech replaced them and tells me motherboard is bad.  Have been waiting a month for a replacement and order is in death valley. I was told Dell is having issues with the BT.  Hope you fare better than me.

The device you are attempting to pair with must be set to discoverable mode as well.  If the device is not set as such, it will not be seen. 

Bobby

Thanks for the quick response.  As I mentioned, I am testing with a Bluetooth mouse that is discoverable and has been tested on another system.

It has failed to see anything that I have attempted to pair with it.

Thanks.

March 1st, 2010 15:00

You may be in trouble.  Received a new Studio running Windows 7 and BT worked for a few days then quit.  Wireless then quit too.  On site tech replaced them and tells me motherboard is bad.  Have been waiting a month for a replacement and order is in death valley. I was told Dell is having issues with the BT.  Hope you fare better than me.

Thanks bartonj.  Wireless is working fine.  Just added the BT and I was hoping it might be a driver issue or something.  I just got it to see the BT mouse, but only for a second.  Long enough to connect, but control with the mouse was spotty then disconnected.  All other attempts since does not find the mouse at all.  Hoping it is not the motherboard!  Good luck to in resolving your issue.

3 Posts

March 16th, 2010 19:00

I am having a similar problem with my brand new Studio XPS 1640 running pre-installed Windows 7.  Tech support sent me a replacement BT Travel Mouse because they thought it was the hardware, but no change.  Yesterday, they restored the system to factory settings and still no ability to use the BT Travel Mouse.  The bluetooth card appears to be working fine and is able to find the bluetooth mouse and even says it successfully connected, but moving or clicking the mouse has no impact.

Here is what I've learned definitively so far:

1. The problem is not solved by just installing the latest SetPoint drivers from Logitech which has helped some people in other forums.
  2. The BT Travel Mouse seems to have no problems with Bluetooth 355 card on Vista and 7 (my old laptop was Vista and 355) - There are lots of people experiencing problems with Bluetooth 370 and this mouse
  3. The problem I am having is unrelated to a spotty bluetooth connection.  If you are having problems with the bluetooth working properly for a while and going out, this is probably due to one of the settings in Properties.  Go to the Device Manager and access the properties.  There will be an option to prevent the system from turning off the bluetooth card to save power.  This fixes the spottiness problem for most people.
  4. I read on one forum that there may be an issue with the Bluetooth 370 card for Windows 7.  One workaround that was suggested is to download and install the Windows Vista 64 bit driver for the bluetooth card.  I was unsuccessful with this because the system won't let me install anything old with the existing 370 drivers loaded.  I even tried uninstalling the card completely, but Windows just auto re-installed the driver upon restart.

I have been on the phone with tech representatives for three days about three hours each and they seem stumped... I hope someone has a solution that works soon.  It is crazy, but my mouse increases my productivity by a lot! 

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 16:00

This has been fixed and the mouse now works perfectly.  Dell sent me a new wireless card, but the technician noticed when he opened the computer that one of the wires wasn't actually connected to the wireless card (radio).  He replaced the card anyway, and the mouse worked instantly on restart.

No Events found!