Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2012 20:00

Dell Inspiron 1525 Driver Issues

Hi Everyone,

My hard drive recently crashed and I had to install a new one. Using the recovery disks, I reinstalled the operating system first (Vista, 32 bit). This seems to be working fine. I am having a problem connecting to the internet with the drivers I installed. I downloaded them from another computer and installed them onto my own starting with the Chipset. Then I went on down the line per my service #. The first time I believe I downloaded a few drivers for the wrong operating system, Windows XP (I believe it was video, audio, input and Network 1). So I downloaded the correct drivers for Vista and tried again, and still, I cannot connect to Internet. I deleted the old drivers (but I don't know if they were uninstalled). Does this matter? Any suggestions? I was thinking starting from scratch but wanted to see if there was a shorter way. Thank you for reading!

-Tim

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 24th, 2012 04:00

Tim,

The Notebook Systemn Utility and the chipset drivers need installed first or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the notebook system utility and the chipset drivers and install from there.

Rick

6 Posts

January 24th, 2012 08:00

Yes I did install the chipset first (as the notebook utility did not apply). Do you recommend uninstalling all the drivers and starting over? Thanks, Tim

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 24th, 2012 09:00

Tim,

I found the NOtebook System Utility, so it needs installed first, then the chipset drivers. The rest of the order is not a critical but you should follow the order.

The Notebook System Utility and the chipset drivers know what is attache to each model and helps with the installation of the drivers.

Start with the notebook system utility I provided above, then the chipset drivers and go throught the list.

Rick

6 Posts

January 24th, 2012 21:00

Rick, Thank you for your help. I was able to connect to the Internet via a hard Ethernet connection. However, I still cannot locate the correct Wireless Network drivers that I need to install for a wireless internet connection. This was not included in my original Service tag list - do you know where I could locate the correct driver? Thank you again!!

-Tim

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 25th, 2012 01:00

Tim,

Try running the Finding System Information Tool and post the information back here.

Rick

6 Posts

January 25th, 2012 18:00

Here is the information from the System Information tool:

OS Name:                   Microsoftr Windows VistaT Home Premium

OS Version:                6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation

Original Install Date:     1/22/2012, 10:50:53 PM

System Boot Time:          1/25/2012, 8:18:35 PM

System Manufacturer:       Dell Inc.

System Model:              Inspiron 1525                  

System Type:               X86-based PC

Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.

BIOS Version:              Dell Inc. A13, 6/27/2008

System Locale:             en-us;English (United States)

Input Locale:              en-us;English (United States)

Time Zone:                 (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Tim-PC

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-9B-EB-89-37

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{38FE69F2-6A83-4FAB-B5F1-7E065863E74D}

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 25th, 2012 19:00

Tim,

Download and install in order...

Notebook System Utility

Intel Mobile Chipset

Ricoh Driver

Then install...

Marvell 88E80XX 10/100 Ethernet Controller

The go to Dell Warranty Status enter your service tag number. Click on original configuration. There will be listed the wireless adapter you have installed. Then go to Drivers & Downloads and download and install the drivers.

The download and install Dell Quickset.

Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

Also read Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

Can you connect with the wireless adapter now?

Rick

6 Posts

January 25th, 2012 20:00

Rick,

Thank you for the detailed procedure. Unfortunately, my computer still says I do not have a wireless adapter installed (after installing one). I may have downloaded the incorrect wireless card from the drivers & downloads page. I am having trouble locating the correct one (I made an educated guess). Here is the wireless minicard information from my "original system configuration" -

JR356 Card, Wireless, Minicard, DW1395 4312BG

How do I cross reference this to the available drivers on the "drivers and downloads" page? The one I installed was R173590.exe, which is applicable to: Wireless (Except US,Japan) WLAN Card, Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card, Wireless 1490 Dual-Band WLAN, Wirelss 1390 WLAN MiniCard. This however, did not work for my computer.

On another note, how would I check the operating system of my original system configuration? I have a hunch that I was operating under Windows XP before, where now I am using Vista (this is what I was given with the recovery CD's). Would this make a difference in which wireless network adapter to use?

Thank you so much for your continued help!

-Tim

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 25th, 2012 21:00

Tim,

Try the 1395 XP drivers in the XP Compatibility mode

I didn't see the adapter in the Finding system information tool, so it's either a driver or the wireless adapter may have come loose.

What do you see in the device manager?

Start, control panel, device manager?

If the adapter came loose, you can reseat it by using the instructions HERE.

Rick

6 Posts

January 26th, 2012 08:00

Rick,

It worked! I am connected! The Wireless 1395 in XP mode worked fine for my Vista OS.

Thank you so much for your time and patience.

-Tim

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 26th, 2012 09:00

Tim,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

February 7th, 2012 20:00

Tim & Rick,

Same laptop, same fix. Thanks for starting and completing this forum!

Saved me hours...

Tony

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 8th, 2012 02:00

Tony,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Someone has been doing their homework. :emotion-5:

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!