Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 25th, 2012 05:00

Dell Inspiron N5110 Wireless cannot connect

I had to reinstall Windows but upon reinstallation, I noticed that wireless does not connect. I tried pressing Fn +F2. Nothing. No LED light for wireless.

First I started the WLAN AutoConfig service under services.msc. After starting/enabling this service - nothing.

I searched the forum and found a post for Quickset. I followed the instructions given and restarted. When I press Fn+F2 the screen flashes the wifi symbol and my wifi LED comes on. However, when I go to connect to a wireless network - none can be found (I have connected to this network before and know that it works).

I searched help and suppoort and navigated to Manage Wireless Networks. I click on the Add button and get the following message:
Windows cannot detect any wireless network interfaces.

Does anyone have a clue on how to fix this? Getting wireless to work after reinstallation should not be this painful.

Thanks in advance.

5 Posts

November 12th, 2012 14:00

Well after a couple of weeks of devoting too much time (enough time that I could of purchased 2 of these laptops), this problem has been resolved. A Dell hardware tech. support rep. was dispatched to my residence. He replaced the network adapter card with a 6230 and Dell also gave me the OS disk as well.

If anyone has this issue (visit the link in my previous post):

#1 Get your network adapter replaced. (Hopefully you're still under warrany).  The 1030 is junk.

#2 Install the drivers as RockSt☆r-Rick K mentions (BTW - thanks for that advice). It DOES make a difference.

A couple of last notes, Dell phone support was great. They're slow because they have to assume you don't know a computer from a corn field.

One thing that kills me about this issue though, is why Dell shipping out a faulty product? It's a laptop - the wireless needs to work. I only discovered this problem after my wife got a virus on the computer and I had to reinstall everything. The laptop was working on a wired network but never knew the wireless was DOA. Glad she got the virus when she did because we were within weeks of expiration.

Thanks for all of your input.

3.3K Posts

October 25th, 2012 05:00

Hi Elway7,

I recommend booting the computer to Safemode with networking (Restart the computer and tap F8 on Dell logo and select Safemode with networking).

Check if wireless works fine is Safemode with networking.

If the wireless shows the same behavior, update wireless drivers from below link:

Visit the link: http://dell.to/QjjZDA

1. Enter the Service tag of the computer in the box provided and click “Submit”.
  2. In the next page, click drop down arrow to select the Operating System which is installed in the computer.
  3. Under the category Network, Select the drivers accordingly and click “Download File” and save the file on desktop

Now try connecting to wireless network and check if that works.

For more information, I have provided a link below which can fix the issue:

Below mentioned link would also help you with the settings for wireless internet:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=DSN_370078&isLegacy=true

Please reply if you have any further questions.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 25th, 2012 10:00

Elway7,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Desktop/Notebook system software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

5 Posts

October 31st, 2012 20:00

Well, I've tried both methods suggested here without any success. Dell's driver page is pretty vague after you enter your specific computer (like why does it give me an option for nvidia drivers when I don't have an nvidia supported video card?).  So, I downloaded the probable drivers and installed them in the order on the "How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order" list. No such luck there.

I also contacted Dell. A Dell Support Tech. assisted in trying to resolve the issue. He remoted in to my pc (via ethernet) and tried his best to enable the wireless internet. No luck. After installing, uninstalling, removing, adding, enabling the wireless (without success) -he ran several diagnostic tests and verified that I do not have a hardware problem. While the Dell Support Tech. was very kind, and patient throughout the call, he could not resolve the issue. Since the only disk I could find is the Drivers and Utilities Disk, I asked the technician if this system came with restore CDs. He said it did not. Great. So this has left me with a few questions....

- Why is the Drivers and Utilities CD not an automated process that loads the required, needed drivers onto the computer in the order they are suppose to be loaded? (I've owned several different systems and never had such a problem installing the appropriate drivers).

- Why does Dell not provide an OS disk or at a minimum a system restore disk? I mistakenly assumed that the Drivers & Utilities CD was my restore disk.

- Since this laptop is just an electronic frisbee right now, can I return it to Dell so they can restore the system to factory settings? (I am still under warranty).

Like I mentioned before, I've owned several computers in the past (desktops and laptops) but have never had such a painful experience loading drivers or getting the computer back to factory default settings.

Hopefully Dell can get my computer back to the factory default settings where my wireless internet works. If not, I will not recommend Dell and will not be a return customer.

Thank you for your input.

5 Posts

October 31st, 2012 20:00

Looks like this issue is prevalent with the N5110.

Here's a post en.community.dell.com/.../19422378.aspx

"I've had problems with this for almost a year. Had the tech support team try to reset the computer to factory specs several times, tech came out and replaced the 1030 adapter, which didn't help. finally, the tech came out again and replaced the 1030 with a 6230, and it works mint. If you're still under warranty, get the tech out and have them install the 6230."

If I return my laptop to Dell, can they not only reset my computer back to factory settings, but also replace the adaptor to the 6230??

No Events found!