Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

August 31st, 2017 15:00

Dell Latitude D830, cannot connect to internet

Jimco was very helpful in getting the audio working on my D830. However, I am still not able to connect to the internet. I have Windows XP, SP2. My Device Manager shows yellow question marks next to Ethernet Controller, Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus, O2Micro CCID SC Reader, SM Bus Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible). I have loaded the Broadcam 57XXGigabit Integrated Controller Application and the Dell Wireless13xx, 14xx Driver version A31. I have a wireless connection as I see my local IP address in the lower right corner. My IE is version 6. When I click on the icon, I am prompted to try a dial up connection. What drivers do I need to get my IE6 working?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 11th, 2017 19:00

Let's take the browser out of the equation for a moment.  First, check the IP address you're getting on WiFi -- does it begin 169.254?  If so, then then there's something going on with your network connection at a lower level that you'd need to troubleshoot before even thinking about a browser.  169.254 IP addresses are auto-generated by devices when they don't receive an IP address from the network (usually provided by the router).

If your IP address does NOT begin 169.254, then open Command Prompt (you'll find it in the Start menu) and type "ping www.google.com".  Do you get a reply?  If not, then once again there's something wrong at a lower level than the browser because Google (surprisingly) replies to ping requests on the Internet, so if you're not getting them, there's something else wrong with your connection.

If you DO get ping replies and you still can't browse, then one possible cause is that you're trying to use an ancient browser and OS, either or both of which may not support newer protocols that are required by many modern websites.  For example, Windows XP prior to SP3 will not accept SSL/TLS certificates signed using the newer SHA-256 algorithm, which many websites are now using for their certificates because Chrome flags websites that use older signing standards as less secure -- and since more and more sites are defaulting to using SSL/TLS all the time, this is going to lock you out of an increasing number of sites.  In that case, it might be best to use Firefox (more on why in a moment), although it's possible you will STILL need to download (from another machine) and install XP Service Pack 3 on your system before even Firefox will be able to browse such sites. I'm not able to find a definitive answer on whether Firefox can independently support SHA-256 regardless of OS version, but SP3 will definitely remove that particular hurdle.

All of that said, at best this will all be a Band-Aid.  In case you're unaware, IE 6 has been considered completely unsafe to use for several years now, and even the latest version of IE available for XP (I believe IE8?) Microsoft explicitly recommends against using for the same security reasons.  Chrome isn't supporting XP anymore either, which is why I suggested using Firefox, although they're expected to make a final decision on how much longer they'll continue supporting XP this month, so even they may not last. On top of all that, Microsoft stopped developing security updates for XP quite a while ago, with the major exception of a patch for the WannaCry ransomware outbreak.

Therefore, given the increased security risks and diminished functionality created by this lack of support at various levels, you may want to consider either upgrading to at least Windows 7 or getting a laptop that comes with at least that version pre-installed from a vendor like Discount Electronics. They sell laptops at great prices and they also ship them ready to go out of the box, without requiring you to jump through all of the hoops that I read about in your original audio driver thread. You seem to be putting an awful lot of effort into getting a very old system running a very old, insecure, and increasingly less capable/functional OS up and running.

Still, if you're determined to stick with this system and are still trying to figure out which drivers you still need, judging by what you posted above, you should just need the Broadcom Ethernet Controller (if you need wired Ethernet), the audio driver, the chipset driver, the memory card reader, and (apparently) the dial-up modem driver, all of which should be available on support.dell.com.  If you haven't already, instead of entering your Service Tag there, try just clicking "Choose from all products", then selecting Laptops > Latiude > D830 > Drivers and Downloads, then make sure to change your OS selection to Windows XP. Sometimes entering a service tag filters out drivers that do in fact apply to your system. If you still can't figure some of them out, for any devices with a yellow exclamation point, double-click them, go to the Details tab, and select "Device Instance Path" in the dropdown.  Let me know the four-character VEN and DEV codes for each one and I can probably look up what that device is and therefore what driver needs to be installed.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 12th, 2017 16:00

I just had an occasion to use XP on the Internet today (or try to), and I ran into the exact same issue of most websites not being browsable using IE6.  One notable exception is that firefox.com can be reached, and even though it renders awfully (basically a text-only page), it does offer the Download Firefox link, which you can use to download and install Firefox.  You can then use Firefox to browse the Internet.  However, be aware that the lack of support for newer security standards can also break other things.  For example, the reason I embarked on this experiment in the first place was to test how a download agent behaved on XP, and that agent wasn't even able to connect to the download servers because there's no OS-level support for the newer security standards they require, which furthers my point above about even using Firefox representing a Band-Aid at best, and a short-lived one given that Firefox may be dropping support for XP fairly soon.  Best of luck.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 12th, 2017 19:00

The message you see when booting is because you have your network card enabled as a boot device.  If you go into the BIOS setup and uncheck the network card, that will disappear (and shorten your boot time by a few seconds).

According to the support.dell.com page for your Latitude D830, the correct driver for your wired Ethernet adapter is R151336: Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller, 59XX 10/100 Ethernet Controller, v.v10.15.01, A00.  Might want to try that one if you haven't already.  If that doesn't work, double-click that device in Device Manager and post the actual error message that you'll see.  There are several possible error messages that can trigger a yellow exclamation point, including hardware faults, so just saying you see a yellow exclamation point is leaving key information out of the picture.

21 Posts

September 12th, 2017 19:00

Thank you for your detailed reply. Since my original post, I have been able (with plenty of help from others) to first update my IE6 to IE8 and the install Firefox. Firefox works but, only through my wi-fi. I have not been able to fix the problem with my Ethernet Controller after many attempts. The Device ID is 0x1673 (NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet from Broadcom). I have already installed the suggested drivers from Dell (R151334)  and I still get the yellow ?. I also see this message when I first boot up:

Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v10.0.9

Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Broadcom Corporation

Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 21 70 67 7D 36GUID: 44454CC 5A00 104A 8057 C7C04F4D4731

PXE-E53: No Boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM

Any thoughts?

21 Posts

September 13th, 2017 17:00

Here are some more details that may help: The PXE-E53 message no longer appears but now I see the PXE-E61 message (Media test failure, check cable). My system still boots up after a few moments. I immediately see the "Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard". Under the Devise Manager, Ethernet Controller Properties, I see Devise Type - other devises / Manufacturer - unknown / Location PCI bus 9, devise 0, function 0. This devise is not configured correctly (Code 28). This code used to be Code 1. To reinstall the drivers for this devise, click Reinstall Drivers - this takes me back to the Hardware Update Wizard. The Devise is vendor 14E4 and devise number 1673. I have installed drivers R151334, R116101 and now R151336. "The NIC card is off" (under Internal NIC configuration) and "No ASF-capable network adaptor found" under Broadcom ASF Configuration. I do have wireless connectivity.   Does this help identify the problem?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 13th, 2017 21:00

Again, that PXE message is because your network card is enabled as a potential boot device in your BIOS.  That is 100% separate from the way it's configured (or not) within Windows.  If you want to get rid of that message and that extra seconds it adds to your boot time, press F2 while you see the Dell logo when your PC first boots.  Then find the area of the BIOS where you can select the order of boot devices and choose to disable the network card as a boot option entirely.  That will NOT prevent it from working as a regular network card; it just means you wouldn't be able to boot the PC using an operating system supplied by another PC on your network, which is something that's only ever done in corporate/enterprise environments anyway.

The vendor and device IDs you posted correspond to the Broadcom NetXtreme 5755 Ethernet controller, so the Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx driver is absolutely correct.  However, you shouldn't need the Broadcom ASF application for that controller, so just to simplify things and remove possible conflicts that may have been created by installing so many different drivers, try going to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstalling anything you see there that relates to Broadcom NetXtreme/network controllers/management applications, then restart your PC and reinstall just the R151336 driver I mentioned above, since that one is definitely correct for your specific controller.  If that doesn't remove the exclamation point in Device Manager (or at least change the error that's reported under Properties), then I'm not sure what to recommend.  You could try forcing the network card to always enabled under Internal NIC configuration if you want, but that shouldn't affect the Device Manager status, or it might be easier to take that PC to somewhere like Geek Squad, since something like this would probably be easy for a tech support person to fix if they could just see and work on the PC directly.  I'm sure I could do it too, but of course that isn't possible over these forums.

21 Posts

September 14th, 2017 04:00

Unfortunately, I have the same error message. Thanks again for all your effort.

21 Posts

September 14th, 2017 06:00

One last thought - does the  "The NIC card is off" (under Internal NIC configuration) have any bearing to my situation?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 14th, 2017 07:00

The Internal NIC Configuration application basically allows you to configure whether NIC power saving is used. The default is to enable that, which means the NIC is powered off whenever nothing is plugged into it, and it's supposed to wake up whenever a cable is plugged in.  So that's why it's saying it's currently off.  If memory serves, there's an option in that Internal NIC Configuration application to set the NIC to be always enabled -- and even if not, you can plug an Ethernet cable into it in order to wake it up, as long as said cable is of course connected to something that's running on the other end, like your router -- but I don't think that will influence the Device Manager state since I've successfully installed drivers on that system while leaving that setting alone and with no Ethernet cable plugged in. Then again, it couldn't hurt to test, seeing as there's nothing else I can think of at this point to avoid the conclusion that the NIC on that system may just have a hardware-level problem.

21 Posts

September 14th, 2017 14:00

In the F2 setup, the Integrated NIC setting is now at "Enabled w/PXE". My other options are Off, Enabled and Enabled w/RPL. "The Factory default setting is Enabled w/PXE". Does this help?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 14th, 2017 18:00

Change it to Enabled, which will keep the NIC active, but not as an allowed boot device.

21 Posts

September 15th, 2017 16:00

Success - the PXE error messages have stopped coming up when I changed to Enabled. Now, for the last challenge. What do you think about deleting all the Internet drivers and only reinstalling the R151336? If this sounds like a good idea, what is the best way to uninstall the drivers?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 15th, 2017 16:00

What do I think about deleting all of the other drivers and reinstalling only R151336?  Well, that's precisely what I suggested a few posts up, so of course I think that's a reasonable step. :)  As I mentioned there, the best way to do it is through Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, looking for anything related to Broadcom.  It's not perfect (uninstallers don't always remove everything), but it's about the best you can do unless you want to reinstall your operating system from scratch.

August 7th, 2018 05:00

I had a similar problem with XP Pro not seeing the network card. (And I am an IT pro.) I brought an HDD pre-loaded with Win 7 Pro that worked fine (except for sluggishness I attributed to the fact that the D830 doesn't like these newer Windows OS) and immediately showed "connected." Well, I returned it to the vendor and foolishly rolled back to XP Pro. The system doesn't see a network driver now. Going into the device manager shows a bunch of exclamation marks for ethernet controller, video controller, bus et cetera, which I uninstalled to no avail after updating the chipset (the BIOS Dell had only worked with 2000 and XP), and Broadcam 57XXGigabit Integrated Controller from suport.dell.com. No luck, though. I finally loaded Win10 Pro. Same business. I am stumped as to why only the HHD preloaded with Win 7 "plugged and played" when wired into our Gigabit Ethernet (GbE or 1 GigE). But using the 120 GB HHD the machine came with and a clean Win 10 Pro 64 bit install results in a prominent red x in the connection icon on the task tray.

No Events found!