Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2011 19:00

Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN minicard – PROBLEM!

I intend on replacing my 1397 WLAN minicard because I’ve just about had it. It won’t stay connected to my internet like it used to. I noticed that I keep getting knocked off my internet ever since we secured our network.  I also noticed that it only stays connected on unsecured networks. Is there any way to fix this? I never stay connected long enough to do anything on the internet! It’s annoying to keep reconnecting or to constantly refresh my windows. No other laptops or computers in my home have this problem...

Either way I do plan on changing my wireless card to the 1520 WLAN minicard.. but are there any other wireless cards out there besides from dell? Anything from Intel?

Here are specs of my laptop

Dell inspiron 1440

Windows 7

Pentium® dual core cpu 2.20 GHz

RAM – 4 GB

System type – 64 bit

Dell wireless 1397 minicard

My netgear router – 802.11g radio

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 16th, 2011 20:00

limaj215,

Are you using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router? I use channel 11.

Start, control panel, device manager, network, 1397 adapter, advanced. Look for antenna diverstiy. Change it from Auto to Aux.

Rick

9 Posts

September 17th, 2011 12:00

I switch the antenna diversity to aux and as for now it's working great! Thank you so much for solving my problem Rick! I really appreciate it!

But I have to know... what does changing the antenna diversity to aux do?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

limaj215,

In addition to what dallascowboysworldchamps posted...

It seems that selecting Aux selects the best antenna for some of the wireless adapters.

Rick

2.4K Posts

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Changes signal to the aux antenna. The default is auto which is suppose to choose the best.

9 Posts

September 18th, 2011 08:00

Ok, so even with using aux as my antenna diversity i'm still having connection issues. everything seemed to be working great for awhile.. now i don't know what happened! i switched the antenna to aux like you said and i even used the recommended router settings! this is really getting annoying.

i even took my laptop to the guys at geeksquad and even they said it was fine. my cousin who is really good with computers even came down to check if my network was okay at home -- and he said everything looks fine with it.. i don't know what to do....

9 Posts

September 18th, 2011 11:00

Any 2.4 GHz cordless phones in your home? Yes I believe there’s two, one upstairs and one in the same room as the router. None, are connected to the router or the internet box from Comcast.

What channel is the wireless router on? Channel 11

Did you ever update the firmware in the wireless router? Yes its up to date.

Check for newer drivers for the 1397 wireless adapter? My drivers are up to date! I made sure of that. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the driver..

What virus program and firewall are you using? I’m using Kaspersky Anti-Virus and windows firewall.

What is the exact issue. You did say it was working great?

When you guys told me to change the antenna to aux, my internet was working great. I could connect with no problems and my pages would load with no problems. A few hours later… internet was back to it’s old ways..

The exact issue is that it takes a few tries for me to connect to my internet, and when I finally do connect, it’s either slow or it won’t load the page. It will say page cannot be displayed or no data sent..  I would check the connection, and it would say I’m connected but it won’t get on the internet! I even reset the router and modem…and still nothing!

9 Posts

I just ran a diagnostic test on my wireless card and this is what came up.. it failed the internet IP ping

It says that : the wireless router/AP for your network is working but you computter is not able to use an IP address to connect to the internet. You will not be able to connect to the internet, although you will be able to connect to your local network. Contact your network admin or wireless router/AP installer for assistance...

I am  on my router login looking at the wireless settings once more.. at the internet IP address section its set at get dynamically from ISP

should I change it to use static IP address? Then listed below that is a bunch of IP addresses.. will this work?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

limaj215,

Any 2.4 GHz cordless phones in your home?

What channel is the wireless router on?

Did you ever update the firmware in the wireless router?

Check for newer drivers for the 1397 wireless adapter?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

What is the exact issue. You did say it was working great?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

limaj215,

The 2.4GHz cordless phones work on the same frequencies as your wireless router. Just having the phone ring will cause problems with the wireless router. If someone is using the 2.4GHz cordless phones, you'll have connection problems.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 18th, 2011 12:00

limaj215,

DHCP should be fine.

Try an ipconfig /all then try pinging your default gateway.

What happens?

Rick

9 Posts

September 18th, 2011 18:00

oh yeah, the internet still doesn't work!

9 Posts

i tried the ipconfig /all -- a list just appeared

then i tried pinging my default gateway -- it passed but internet ip ping failed

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

limaj215,

Pinging the wireless router passed, so it has something to do with the router or the ISP modem router.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 19th, 2011 04:00

limaj215,

Power off the ISP modem/router and your wireless router(if any) Wait 30 seconds, then power on the ISP modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the wireless router(if any)

Restart your computer.

Can you connect?

Rick

9 Posts

September 19th, 2011 16:00

Yes, I did that and as for now I'm connected! So far no problems, and I'm also located in a room far away from the 2.4GH phones. I'm crossing my fingers, I hope I don't encounter anymore problems!

No Events found!