Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2010 01:00

Dell Wireless WLAN Card Wireless Network Controller stopped working and was closed.

Hi all,

I regularly get this message (but not everytime) when I start up Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

"Dell Wireless WLAN Card Wireless Network Controller stopped working and was closed.

A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available."

Then I get this following message:

"Solution Found: Address a problem with your WLAN card.

Your WLAN card has stopped working properly.

This is a network adapter that allows your computer to connect to a wireless network.

To find out if an updated version of your WLAN card is available, contact your device or computer manufacturer."

The strange thing is even though I get this message I am still able to connect to the internet via a wireless network. So there is no problem as such it is just annoying to keep getting this message when Windows starts up.

I have checked on the DELL Support website and I do have the most up-to-date driver already (Or I think I do).

The message refers to my:

Dell Inspiron 1520, Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card (with driver version 4.170.25.17)

Can anybody help!

Thanks in advance.

February 11th, 2010 13:00

It's funny this happens. I have exactly the same model of laptop/operating system, and experience this same error message. I've tried to fix this before, checking for updates and contacting the manufacturer etc, but it still appears. I've also wondered why this make of laptop no longer appears in list of sales, even though ones older are still displayed :-(. This error is displayed under windows problems/solutions page too!

February 15th, 2010 05:00

I'm experiencing the same problem with my Inspiron 1721 laptop. Although my laptop will shutdown for no reason after having it on for about 6 hours. I'm on the Internet when it shuts down and when I turn it back on it has the below message. I ran a diagnostic test on my WLAN card and it passed each one component. I'm not sure why this keeps happening. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Address a problem with your WLAN card

Your WLAN card has stopped working properly.

This is a network adapter that allows your computer to connect to a wireless network.

To find out if an updated version of your WLAN card is available, contact your device or computer manufacturer.

11 Posts

May 7th, 2010 04:00

I'm having the same problem as you guys do. Do you guys have any idea what is the solution for this problem? My laptop is Dell Inspiron 1420.

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2010 18:00

I'm having the same annoying problem...i have a Dell inspirion 1720...it started doing this within a couple of months after I received it.  I would love to hear how to fix this.  Thanks.

1 Message

October 4th, 2010 21:00

Same exact problem here with my Inspiron 1525. No solution to be found!

11 Posts

January 4th, 2011 13:00

Where the heck are the admistrators who have the answer to this problem that has been posted for TWO years now?!!

11 Posts

January 4th, 2011 14:00

Today this message "Dell Wireless WLAN Clrd Wireless Network controller stopped working and was closed" won't go away. I close that message window and it pops up again.  I have been downloading drivers off the driver page in hopes of finding one that will shut this thing up! I have a 1390 wlan mini-card in my 1721 inspiron laptop. So far I am downloading R140747.exe and R151519.exe files. I'll let you know if any work.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~ck=anavml

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 5th, 2011 01:00

suepyr,

Layoff have played it toll on the forums. Most of us here are Dell users, like you are.

Rick

January 5th, 2011 03:00

I started getting the same message a few days ago. Uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it (but Dell site only shows driver for Vista, not Windows 7). Didn't work. Then had Windows search for a driver, and got a newer one from Broadcom. Still didn't work. I can close the Windows window, and keep it closed. Can also access the Internet. Is it a virus, as one posting from Google search suggested? Or just an annoyance?

January 5th, 2011 04:00

May have just found my own answer ... If you're using the newest version of the free Avast! this might help you - it seems to have stopped the window from appearing for me (at least for now) ...

uninstall the behaviour shield element ?
Windows add remove programs, Avast xxx, click the Change/Remove button, click the Change section from the new window and uncheck the Behaviour Shield entry, OK your way out and reboot.

1 Message

January 6th, 2011 20:00

Thanks CATHYWINKLER, you hit the nail on the head.  I noticed that the problem with the annoying pop-ups started shortly after a software update for the free Avast antivirus program.  Although I tried the many different suggestions from earlier posts nothing worked including disabling Avast permanently.  I also tried temporarily disabling the behavior shield on avast and that did not work as well.  Finally I tried the suggestion of CATHYWINKLER and that fixed the problem which I believe was the source in my case.

I also found 2 other options for getting rid of the annoyance but this is not a fix.

First - Set the Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Services from Automatic to Manual:  This did the trick for me.

Go to Administrative Tools>>Services>>Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Services>>Double click or properties>>Change Startup Type from Automatic to Manual.

Second - Disable Windows Error Reporting Services:

Go to Administrative Tools>>Services>>Windows Error Reporting Services>>Double click or properties>>Change Startup Type from Automatic to Disable. 

I hope this information is help to someone.

1 Message

January 7th, 2011 02:00

Hi all,

I too have been having the same problem with the wireless card not working message, despite it working fine.  Having read the above post it dawned on me that the only thing that I changed on my 1525 recently was a free upgrade of avast.  I tried various options such as turning off behaviour shields etc but the only thing that as solved it for me is uninstalling avast altogether :( .  I installed AVG instead and everything is fine again.

Hope this helps,

2 Posts

January 10th, 2011 19:00

Cathy, your suggestion fixed my issue on a 1525, also with Avast!

How did you find this work-a-round?

January 11th, 2011 03:00

Bryan, just kept searching online and eventually ended up at an Avast! forum and saw the suggestion I posted. Has been working for me, glad it worked for you and others also.

8 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 08:00

Hello Everybody

I am Uday Salvi from India, a Senior Citizen, never had been to computer school, learned myself what I wanted to cope with my work.

My DELL Laptop Inspiron is of 2007  model. Original with Authentic Software Supplied by DELL. over a period of time, I had to changed it`s battery & DVD recorder. I facing two problem now, (i) Dell Wirless WALN Card Network Controller Stopped Working.(ii) Though I have all original software of the Laptop, I (Layman) am unable to format or update it with it. (iii) my `C` Drive shows 98 % full.

Requesting Dell Community to help me overcome all these problem.

Thanks & regards

Uday Salvi

No Events found!