Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 24th, 2012 03:00

Dell XPS 17 3D Edition with no 3G

Hi all,

My specific Dell is the XPS 17 with the 3D screen (Model: XPS L702X). I checked product support and on this laptop it states a 3G card is not available on the 3D panel. I'm wondering why did they exclude the 3G card from this laptop. As far as I know, a 3D panel will have no effect on a 3G card (when Installed). Or is it they used the port for the 3G card for the 3D panel which I find highly unlikely.

I have contacted customer support with a ticket but the people that helped me are not very informative, not to mention there use of the English language is atrocious. They just can't tell me a reason, (Out of their scope is the answer), and asking for more support as to how to get one in my laptop just brings me back to square one with them not understanding me and telling me it isn't supported.

Any advice from you wizzes out there to make this 3G card work in this laptop or how to get one in and make it work? 

Many thanks. 

July 24th, 2012 06:00

Hi Wip3out,

My name is Shomprakash and I'm from the Dell Social Media Team. I checked your question and I must say, that is a very good question.

We do have a reason for not including 3G (WWAN Card) on L702X systems built with a 3D screen.

The 3D Screen specifications do not allow further room for the Aerial cable asembly required for the 3G card to work succesfully. These Aerial cables run through the LCD back cover on non-3D models and enable the WWAN card to work with the required signals.

This is as per design. However, i would suggest you to use a USB dongle from the respective service provider for enjoying 3G level connectivity on your machine. I also want to congratulate you on your choice of product. The 702X is an excellent machine when it's about 3d gaming. Wishing you a wonderful time with your Dell machine!

I hope this helps. If you have any followup questions, Kindly reply here. I'll be glad to assist you to the best of my knowledge and ability.

Regards,

Dell_Shomprakash_R

Dell Social Media Responder

http://facebook.com/dell

http://twitter.com/dell

3 Posts

July 25th, 2012 00:00

Hi Shomprakash,

Thanks for the answer. This is the first valid answer that I have heard. I would prefer the support team also to know this for future questions as I get the sense they do not know and did not know how to answer it when I asked for the technical details as to why it couldn't work.

Thanks once again.

Wip3out

1 Message

October 13th, 2012 06:00

Hi Dell Shomprakash_R

My question regarding the 3G WWAN card. Although it is not available in the XPS L702X, why does the hardware have a slot for a 3G sim card and the attenna cables are installed for the WWAN card.... It's only the WWAN card that is not installed. Will installing this card give you access to a WWAN network or will there be interferance (My 702 does have 3D installed) If so, which WWAN card should I install?

Thanks

sennahvv

1 Message

November 20th, 2012 09:00

I also have the joy of this beautifull laptop, to answer your question why there is a slot is simple, because I think it is a matter of effective production proces. make 1 case and use it with different modules. I would like to have the 3G option too but if I have to choose I choose again for the 3D. My iphone has a personal hotspot which I can use for the mobile internet need...

1 Message

March 18th, 2016 09:00

Sorry, but your info on the XPS 17 above is wrong- I have a 3D XPS 17 L702x, and have a 5540 WWAN card installed- the antenna were present from the factory..

The Service Manual clearly shows the presence of all the antennas for Wifi/TV/WWAN and these are all present on my XPS.

1 Message

March 18th, 2019 09:00

I've taken my 702x (with NVIDIA 3D) apart 4 times. The atenna and slot for the WWAN are there. I'm going to replace the fan, install a Dell D637N - Wireless 5600 3G Mobile Broadband EVDO HSPA WWAN Mini PCI-E Card and install (2) 500gb solid-state disk drives and upgrade the 4x4 (16gb Ram) to 4x8 (32gb Ram). It's 2019. This is a $2,400.00, 2012 rig. It's time for it to max out and get tough or get replaced. Wish me luck.

No Events found!