Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 21st, 2015 09:00

Dell XPS 8700 Has Stopped Detecting Any Wi-Fi

I recently purchased an XPS 8700 (Windows 10). It recognized my wifi router immediately during set-up and was able to access the internet fine for about a week. In the last day or so, I noticed that it started having intermittent loss of connection. It was working this morning, but stopped and I have been unable to get it to work for the last hour or so.

I rebooted both the router and the computer. I am typing this on a laptop which is able to access the wifi, so I know there is service and the router is working. Nothing was changed on the XPS 8700 (that I am aware of, assuming no background updates). The tower has sat on my desk and not been bumped or anything that might disconnect something internally. Yet it cannot find any wifi networks at all. When it was working, it saw my router as well as a couple others in the building. I also tried reloading the driver from the Dell website.

I am also aware of the unsupported VPN software issue with Windows 10, but the command prompt fix doesn't work and, since the computer came with 10, as opposed to an upgrade, and it worked for a week, I don't think that's the problem.

What I have is: Dell Wireless-N 1704 802.11bgn, 1x1, 2.4GHz + Bluetooth 4.0

14 Posts

August 24th, 2015 13:00

Hi Todd,

It would appear that the solution has turned out to be something far more prosaic...I had an external drive sitting on top of the XPS 8700 tower in the indentation that is supposed to be for charging accessories and a pen caddy temporarily sitting on the rear of the top (I'm rearranging the office to fit the new equipment!). I had opened the side to check that the wifi card was properly seated and there were no loose wires. Everything was fine, but I saw the two wires wrapping around the fan and disappearing up into the roof of the chassis. That stuck in my head and I started to wonder if they connected to a receiver for the wifi signal and if anything I had on top might have been interfering. So I took the drive and caddy off Friday night and the internet has been working fine ever since!

Someone on a Windows forum said the wires are the antenna, so it makes sense. I am letting it finish doing its Carbonite backups (first time on the new machine, so it is taking a while) and am leery of messing with anything. But when it's done, I will put each item back and see if it causes the same problem. I would be surprised if it were the drive in that the indentation is meant to hold stuff like iPhones and such (there is a recharging USB). There is a rectangle of smoother textured plastic near the back edge of the top, next to the service tag, that was where the caddy was sitting. So I wonder if that's not where the receiver would be?

In any event, unless this was all a coincidence, it would seem to have been from something as stupid as having stuff on top of the box. I am going to leave the thread open until I can confirm by replacing the items. But for now, at least, it would seem to be working again!

1.8K Posts

August 24th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

I assume you're running Version 7.35.290, A01 of the Dell Wireless 1704 802.11 b/g/n Driver for Windows 10?  

Are you actually running any VPN software on the system, since you commented about the VPN fix?  If so, which VPN client are you using?

You may want to try removing the current wireless drivers you have in the system, then reboot the XPS 8700.  See if Windows finds / installs any native drivers.   Then see if those drivers enable you to see any wireless networks.

Let me know about the VPN client and I'll see what other information I can find to help you.

Todd

1.8K Posts

August 24th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

Good.   I'm glad to hear everything is working.   Let us know if something acts up again.  

Todd

14 Posts

September 1st, 2015 19:00

It would appear that it was indeed a coincidence. After working fine since my last posting, the computer has gone back to spotty network detection and then did not detect any wifi signals at all for several hours, though I am able to confirm the wifi is working by using my laptop.

I am VERY disappointed in my Dell purchase. Since I rely on my internet access for my living, this is a huge problem for me.

Can someone please tell me how I can perhaps troubleshoot the wifi card or other components to determine what is defective with my Dell product?

Thank you.

14 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 11:00

Anyone ????????????

Seriously...this problem has just cost me half a day's income already. VERY unhappy with this product!!!

1 Message

September 7th, 2015 07:00

I am having the same issue.  The problem initially occurred approximately 1 week ago with a Dell XPS 8700 which prompted me to take it in for a diagnostic.  I am a loyal Dell supporter so, I needed a new computer for my office.  Guess what...purchased a dell (8700 xps i7).  Upon unboxing and set up, found my wifi and did great.  Before the night was over, I was back to square one without wifi. 

This issue is hampering workflow and taking too much time.  I will give it a day.  If the problem is not resolved by then, I am taking my dell back and looking into other desktop options.

Any recommendations?

14 Posts

September 15th, 2015 16:00

All I can say is to avoid Dell!

I've been trying to resolve this issue ever since and have been going around and around, including going through all kinds of router and modem tests and troubleshoots with techs, and am pretty much certain that it is a fault with the Dell XPS 8700. In all likelihood it's the WiFi card and/or antennas. There's a guy on YouTube who recommends replacing the network card on the 8300. Sounds like he had the same kinds of issues. In the comments, people also mention it with the 8700. Not that it's much consolation, but we're not alone.

Based on the proverbial crickets on this thread, it would appear that no one from Dell cares. Hey, they got our money, right? Now it's a matter of not giving them any more and making sure as many people as will listen hear what a *** company Dell is, shoving off faulty products on unsuspecting suckers...I mean "customers."

14 Posts

September 16th, 2015 09:00

If you haven't bought a new computer yet, doctorbatts11, I'd suggest posting to the CNET forum for Dell.

http://www.cnet.com/forums/dell/

What I am hearing (and I got more and better replies in an hour there than here!), is that the WiFi signal receiver may be more inadequate than faulty. Depending on your set-up (position of router and computer, etc.), what comes built-in may just not be up to snuff. They're recommending a dongle external antenna that plugs into the computer. They range in price, but most are under $20 and you don't have to open the case up or pay someone to replace the card!

This may be the route I go and I can let you know if it worked.

2 Posts

March 5th, 2016 13:00

Oh my god. I've been out of internet for two days, assuming it was this *** WiFi card the XPS came with (laptops work fine, every other device works while this incredibly high end desktop for my standards can't connect and intermittently disconnects from WiFi) and I always move the desktop out from under the desk to get a better signal. Now, even that wasn't working.

I removed the speaker volume nob and wires from the indentation like you did and it immediately connected to WiFi. :emotion-7: What a headache!

Anyone looking for a fix, remove anything from the indentation!

20 Posts

February 3rd, 2021 11:00

I also FINALLY figured out my dropped wifi signal myself today too and then came upon this post.  I traced that wifi card's antenna wire to the top of the case and also figured that maybe my Klipsh metal computer speaker was interfering with wifi. 

Using network sniffing app on my android phone, I could see the "hidden" network disappear and reappear with the speaker removal.

There is a USB network card you can buy for $35 that includes it's own antenna, but for now, I'll have to locate the speaker somewhere else.

This problem had me stumped for 3 weeks.  Replaced router 2X.  Before this fix, I would have EVERYTHING running perfectly, then wake up in the morning, or go out for errands, and the wifi would be off... 

AMAZING!

No Events found!