Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2010 16:00

Dimension 8300 WOL from power off

Hi,

I have configured my Intel pro/100 VE for wake on lan - Magic packet.

It works fine when I have set the machine to standby, but wont work when shut down.

Ive made sure the card has power when turned off.

Could this be a motherboard restriction, ethernet card restriction or some configuration I have missed?

Also, I cant help thinking isstrange that when configuring the power management properties on the card, I had to check "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" in order to then be able to check "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" - seems like an oxymoron!

Disabling these features will not see the wake on lan feature working at all.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be most welcome.

Steve.

14.4K Posts

March 16th, 2010 18:00

I do no believe that the mother board supports the proper power mode to enable this function, from a power off.

2 Posts

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the link.

Im not sure it helps me though - I have already established wake on lan capability from Standby mode - I am struggling to get it to work when the machine is powered down (but with power to the NIC)

I guess i am trying to identify if my problem is a limitation in the motherboard, the NIC, or something else, perhaps the ACPI driver? or some additional configuration?

I have the most recent BIOS version - at A07, and the latest NIC & ACPI drivers.

Im out of ideas - any more suggestions?

Steve.

14.4K Posts

See THIS

7 Posts

April 4th, 2012 13:00

You ever get this figured out?

7 Posts

April 10th, 2012 21:00

Steve, sorry to bring up an old thread but when you wake from standby is does it wake up after being in standby for a couple of hours (ie over night?) I'm able to turn my XPS 8300 on from sleep or standby for up to about 30 minutes but after that nothing. Incredibly frustrating. Would really like to know what settings you changed.  

Here are screenshots of all the setting I've changed:

picasaweb.google.com/.../Dell8300WOL

I also agree that the settings in the advanced power NIC setting are oxymoronic. In fact, here is the help email from a dell customer support rep:

"Step 1:  I would request you check the Power Management settings of the NIC card using the below steps:

1. Click on Start.

2. In instant search box, type device manager.

3. Open Device manager window.

4. Click on  + sign in front of network devices.

5. Right click on the network adapter listed there and click on properties.

6. Now click on the Power Management Tab on the top of the window.

7. There will be three options:

1.Allowthe Computer to turn off this device to save power.

2. Allow this device to bring computer out of standby.

3. Only allow management stations to bring the computer out of standby.

8. Please ensure that the option 2 i.e. ?Allow this device to bring computer out of standby? is checked and the other two options are unchecked.

Check If Wake on LAN feature works fine after following the above steps."

A bulk of the instructions don't match the words in Windows 7 and step 8 can't be accomplished since un-checking the top box disables the next two. Really hope someone knowledgeable from Dell can help out.

No Events found!