Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2013 20:00

Dimension E521 - Unable to connect to internet after Windows 7 load

Hi All,

I have a Dimension E521 that I recently loaded the Windows 7 (32 bit) OS.  The machine originally came with Vista.  The load went fine except that I now no longer have internect connectivity.  I had no issues with Vista running.  My network adapter is the on-board Broadcom 440x 10/100 adapter.  On Windows 7 I can trace the network adapter under the following:

Control Panel  >  Network & Internet  >  Network Connections  >  Local Area Connection

The computer shows the adapter is disabled.  When I enable it indicates the network card is unplugged.  The adapter is hard-wireed connected to my router with a Cat 5e cable.  I've tried another "known good" cable with the same result.  My router and DSL modem are operating properly as I have no connectivity problems accessing the wirelessly.  I've looked on the Dell support site to see if there's a specific Windows 7 driver I need, but to no avail.  Any assistance that anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 27th, 2013 10:00

Walrus1,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

2 Posts

July 28th, 2013 09:00

Thanks for the reply, Rick.

When I go to the Dell "Downloads and Drivers" page, I enter my service tag number to pull up info specific to my desktop.  However, in the pulldown menu to select the OS, Windows 7 is not listed.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 28th, 2013 14:00

Walrus1,

Please make sure to follow the list, it's very important. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

For Windows 7 32-bit, try using the Vista 32-bit drivers

For Windows 7 64-bit, try using the Vista 64-bit drivers.

Install the drivers in the Vista SP2 Compatibility mode

There is no need to worry about uninstalling the old drivers. They failed to load because the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers were not installed first. The combination of these drivers know what is attached to your system.

Rick

No Events found!