Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2014 06:00

Do not have permission to access... Strange networking issues!

I have what I consider the most bizarre networking issue of all time.

I never had any issues for about 3 months when I got my new Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet (Win8.1). It connected right to my network, and I was able to access files from my Win7 desktop and my wife's macbook pro no problems. 

However, one day, my Dell Venue gave me a strange permissions error on only ONE of the shared drives that I have on my Win7 computer. I have about 4 separate hard drives on my Win7 computer. It can access the others of those just fine. But, when I click on the one that I use the most (of course), it opens to show my folders (no errors), and then when I try to click on one of those folders in the hard drive, I get the dreaded "you do not have permission" error. As I mentioned before, this all worked completely fine about a week ago. I have not changed any shared settings. There is no option about running as the administrator, it says to "contact your network administrator." WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?? Contact myself??

I will also add that this is on a USB 2TB external hard drive that I'm having trouble accessing, if that has anything to do with it. 

Has anyone seen this before?? it just happened randomly. I have tried everything, read every forum, tried every trick that people mention. Thanks for any help or suggestions. 

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 18th, 2014 08:00

Because you are accessing a network resource, the only logical error message it can give you when faced with a permissions issue is to contact the administrator of your network.  That might be you, but it might be in a larger network infrastructure where the user does not have direct access to the managing hardware/software.

"I have tried everything, read every forum, tried every trick that people mention. Thanks for any help or suggestions."

Wow ... there are a lot of forums out there ... I can't believe you read every one of them.  And if you have tried 'everything', I'm not sure I dare suggest anything.

How do you connect to the share(s)?  UNC?  Mapped drive?  By name or IP address?  Are you using a Homegroup?  Is a password required?  Is the network labeled as 'Home' or 'Work' on each computer (policies change depending on which you use)?

14 Posts

April 18th, 2014 19:00

yes there are a lot of forums, but I did not find many based on this issue, and I read every single one that seemed to match it. I'm not just being dramatic. With that said, It turns out it just worked the next day. I did nothing different... it just, worked. then when I got home from work, it gave me the permission error again. The next morning, it worked again. so, I really have no clue what to say or what is going on, because I did nothing different. I had made all the changes people said (homegroups, workgroups, password removals, etc) previously with no prevail, and then it just so happened to allow me to access it the next day.
No Events found!