Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

December 30th, 2006 15:00

Error Message While Updating Dell 1500 802.11n WLAN Mini Card

I’ve tried various methods to try and update this wireless card.

Every time It stops half way through with error message………

“Error Update 778 Has Occurred And Set Up Cannot Continue”

My set up is as follows……

Canadian Inspiron 6400

Bios Version A09

Current Dell Wireless 1500 Draft 802.11n WLAN mini Card Details……..

Driver Provider: Broadcom

Driver Date: 21/06/2006

Diver Version 4.80.28.5

Tried to install driver update………

R140745

And then

R140747

Same results.

Any ideas?

I see this person had the same problem as well but with a diferent WLAN card........

I am trying to install driver update R140747 on an Inspiron E1705 / WinXP Home Edition SP2 for a Dell 1390 WLAN mini card. The InstalShield Wizard starts however it fails and shows --- Setup Error Error "Update 778" has occured and setup can not continue. Network controller properties show drivers not installed (Code 28). The drivers also do not install manually. I can not rollback to the previous driver. Suggestions?
Thanks,

Message Edited by kaybertoss on 12-30-200612:16 PM

http://tinyurl.com/yzzlnj

Message Edited by kaybertoss on 12-30-200612:19 PM

341 Posts

January 5th, 2007 15:00

I just ran into the same thing on my wife's E1405 laptop after updating her wireless WLAN card because it kept disconnectiong from my home wireless network.  I Linksys router that is up to date on its firmware, so I know that is not the issue.  If anyone can help, I would also appreciate it!

1.7K Posts

January 8th, 2007 20:00

As I was reading through the forum I came across this post Dell Wireless Driver Urgent update stops at 62%  and the two users here were both having the same problem and found that disabling the wireless solved their problem. Perhaps what they did will help you.

January 10th, 2007 23:00

Hi Gina, thanks for your reply. I’ve tried the suggested method and it did not work. I still get the same 778 error message.

I disabled the wireless card by using the Fn F2 key before install of driver update . I don’t know if this was enough or if I have to go into the device manager and disable it there?

I’ve also tried to install this update in safe mode as well with no luck.

I have Windows managing my wireless connection and I have the Dell WLAN utility disabled.

I’ve made no real changes in any way to my laptop since it arrived 2 months ago other than installing X1400 vid card drivers from ATI, not the dell ones.

Anyhow, my secure WPA wireless connection to my Linksys WRT54GL (Linux version) is awesome. I almost hate to do the update for fear of creating more potential problems.

1.7K Posts

January 11th, 2007 14:00

So let's try this.

1. Go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall any wireless drivers you have.
  2. Boot to Safe Mode and go to Device Manager (RIGHT CLICK ON MY COMPUTER AND GO TO MANAGE a window will pop up and you'll see DEVICE MANAGER about halfway down on the left)
  3. Then once you have device manager up on the right side look for NETWORK ADAPTERS and click the + sign.
  4. Once the + sign is clicked you'll see all your network devices. Left click on each one to highlight it and then right click and tell it to uninstall. Do this for all devices seen under Network Adapters. There will be some that will beep at  you and say they cannot be removed. Just click okay and go to the next one.
  5. Once all are removed reboot your system. Wait for a bit and in the bottom left side you will see it says found new hardware. Once you no longer see this appearing try and install that driver.

If this does not work then there may be something corrupt on the system and we might have to take drastic measures and reload the OS, but I want to leave this as a last resort.

January 17th, 2007 23:00

Hi Gina,

Thanks for the continuation of assistance.

I finally had a chance the other night, in between helping my wife out with baby care to go through the suggestions you made.

The method you suggested did the trick. I’m finally updated to the latest WiFi drivers!

I first un-installed the Broadcom control suite in add/remove programs and then the rest of your instructions.

Once updated, I set up all of my WiFi info including WPA2 and everything is working very well.

Thanks again!

Kaybertoss.

11 Posts

June 10th, 2007 17:00

Well I tried this solution and now not only is my wireless card not working but now my broadband card is not working and can't reload either one.

I can't even reload the system - I can't find the disks that came with the system when my wife bought it on ebay (it was my wife's computer and she passed away in January and I have no idea where or what she did with the disks) - so I have no way to even reload the system.

I am terribly upset with dell over this issue. My laptop was working fine, better than fine, before I took dell's advice and downloaded the update for the wireless card. Now I am at the point where my laptop is nearly useless to me.

I am pretty close to done with dell. Just this week my dell inspirion 8600 quit working too. So now I have 2 dell laptops - a 8600 and a 6000 that are useless.

I have tried every solution that has been suggested and nothing works. And of course, the 6000 which is the one I am trying to get the update loaded to is out of warranty so you get no tech support from dell - even when it was their own update that caused the problem!!

I have searched the forums and found multiple people having this exact same problem. It seems to me that dell would have looked into this and come up with the reason for the failures and come up with a solution - perhaps working with microsoft. But all I have seen is guesses as to how to fix this problem.

So what do I do now? throw the 6000 in the corner with the 8600 that is broke too? This is just inexcusable.

Here I am, entering this message on a gateway desktop that I bought around 1995 and it is still working whereas my 2 dell laptops are basically boat anchors.

I am not a typical user, I have 35 years in IT experience much of it over the last 10 years dealing with PC's so it is not as if I did anything to screw this update up. It is dell and/or microsoft that made the error and now I have to pay for their error - totally, completely, inexcusable.

1.7K Posts

June 11th, 2007 18:00

irish36,

If this was working before the update then all you need to do is a system restore to a time before the problem occurred. To get to system restore go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. A window will open choose restore my computer to an earlier time and click next. You will see a calendar on the next screen choose a date you know it worked and continue on. This will restore the items that you deleted earlier too.

1 Message

June 12th, 2007 17:00

the way that I fixed this problem on a client's machine was by physically removing the card, and then installing it.  once the installation was complete (worked on the first attempt), I shut down and reinstalled the card itself.  after boot-up, give the machine a little time to acquire the new hardware and recognize it as an access point with appropriate drivers, and you're in business.

L8
No Events found!