Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2011 11:00

Ethernet Controller...

I tried to plug an ethernet cable into the back of my Dell latitude D620 but nothing happened. I checked in device manager and theres a yellow "!" beside ethernet controller.

I use windows XP. I tried to download the correct device from the dell website but the dell driver download manager doesnt download it. I get a message saying "there are no files to download. please go to drivers and downloads to select file"

I may be being an idiot but I dont know what to do from here.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

November 18th, 2011 15:00

I am offshore just now and cant get in my cabin to try your suggestion until later (7 hours).

the operating system hasn't recently been installed. its been the same since I purchased the laptop around 7 months ago.

thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

randomhero83,

Let me know. I work, this weekend, so I'll be checking back often.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

randomhero83,

Shutdown the computer. Plug in the ethernet cable, then start the computer.

What happens?

Did you recently install the operating system?

Rick

ok thanks pudgy... appreciated...

November 18th, 2011 21:00

Hi, I switched the laptop off and put the ethernet cable in then turned it back on but nothing happened. still shows a yellow " ! " in the device manager under Ethernet Controller.

thanks

November 19th, 2011 00:00

randomhero83,

In device manager, right click on it, then left click update driver. If the driver is on your system, it should install.

Rick

November 19th, 2011 08:00

Hi, sorry for late reply im on nightshift and im just up haha...

i tried what you said and it states the following:

"cannot install this hardware.

the hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software"

thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 20th, 2011 13:00

randomhero83,

Try installing the

Dell Notebook System Software and the Intel Mobile Chipset and see if the ethernet connection comes back.

Rick

November 20th, 2011 13:00

Hi, I installed the 2 things you said to but its not changed anything.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 20th, 2011 14:00

randomhero83,

You can try going to device manager, right click on everything with yellow exclaimination marks, then restart your computer. If it doesn't install, it may be paooible the ehternet adapter has failed.

Rick

November 21st, 2011 06:00

hi, I tried that too but still nothing... i'll have to take it inot somewhere to get fixed. thanks for your help.

3 Posts

November 26th, 2011 16:00

I am in the same boat as you are. I have a Dell Dime3nsion E310 with the same error message reported by the Device Manager. However, I can not find the right driver on Dells download page. Is is possible you and I are both Idiots?  LOL

No Events found!