Bklyn Gal
2 Bronze

Re: Ethernet Network Interface Card problem HELP!

hi Rick, no, I don't think I have IE8 installed, I think it's 6 or 7.  There were only 4 things that had to be disabled, Java Plug-In, JQSIEStart Detector, Messenger Checker Class, and Shockwave Flash Object. I did that, shut down IE, waited 30 sec, started up again. I didn't see anything.  I don't have Mozilla installed, I took a quick look at it, looks cool.

now what?  what did you think I might see after disabling the add-ons?   what about the drivers-- should I get to installing them, should I uninstall the ethernet card?

PC was running pretty slowly this morning, but maybe because it had just woken up!  (?)  thanks Rick

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Lori,

Disabling the add-ons, sometimes brings back Internet Explorer. I would now try running IEFix and see if it comes back.

Like I said, if you try using Mozilla Firefox and it works, then we have this narrowed down to an Internet Explorer problem.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
Bklyn Gal
2 Bronze

Rick, really what you were asking me is if I saw IE after I did the disabling of add-ons and then re-opened the internet, and the answer is a definite yes.  I'm speaking to ya thru IE.

so this means it ISN'T an IE problem, correct?  now what?   thank you for your patience!!  Lori

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Lori,

Since you got IE back, then the issue is with the ad-ons. I would leave them disabled, until you need one. You will most likely need to Download Latest Java, and you'll need Flash Player, Adobe Test Shockwave and Flash Players. I rarely use IE at all. I use Mozilla Firefox and I have certain add-on that help control ad blocking and many other things. You can also make it look pretty with different themes.

I would download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware update it and do a quick scan. Have it remove anything it finds. If you find anything, then I would suggest that you go to DELL Malware Removal Forum read the top post by bugbatter and follow the instructions. They are very well equipped to remove malware from your computer.

Rick

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
Bklyn Gal
2 Bronze

Rick, don't take this the wrong way, please!, but how did I go from having a NIC problem to an IE/add-ons problem?

I went to the Malwarebytes site and was very confused. I ended up downloading the Quad Registry and Spydoctor, and they both wanted to be paid for any fixes, so I uninstalled them.  I went to the Dell Support site, clicked on drivers & downloads and D/L a number of things, 2 of which pertained to the network device.   also, I don't remember where I found this- Driverscanner, which told me I needed to update the drivers for my Plug & Play Monitor, and my Intel Network Adapter!  maybe this was found on Dell?  I dunno...

anyway, before turning on this morning, I switched cables, and lo & behold, my ethernet STILL didn't work- limited or no connectivity, network didn't assign a network addy to the pc, attempted to authenticate...  under Activity, it said it could SEND packets but not receive. In Network Connection Properties, said device IS working properly. I clicked on Repair in Local Area Conn. Status and it couldn't finish the job, told me to contact the person who manages my network!  Diagnostic conneciton test- connection test passed but said adapter configured to obtain IP addy automatically/ No DHCP Server present on network/Windows selected an IP Addy using Alternate Private IP Addressing...  said it was using another connection, and was able to ping my IP addy, said No DNS Server available for this connection, No WINS server available for this connection, and Ping Network xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx failed.  Network cable, Hardware tests all passed.

I mentioned that I D/L a network driver from Dell's site yesterday, but I noticed today that the driver version that I have was dated from June'06... is that possible if I D/L an "updated" one?

now what, Rick?  I'm sorry to keep apologizing to you, and thanking you, but you know I appreciate the help, and I'm just a big dummy about this stuff. I'm just afraid that I'm going to do too many things that I have no idea about, and end up hurting the pc...  duh!

Lori  

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Lori,

I thought you said it worked when you disabled the add-ons.

Did your Desktop come with the ethernet card or did you have to put one in. If so, the proper procedure is to install the drivers from the cd, then shutdown the computer. Unplug it from the wall. Doing this tells the computer that you're adding new hardware. Install the card. Plug the computer back in and power it on. When you log in to an unrestricted account, then Windows should find the card.

Do you see anything in the device manager?

I am a little busy working and painting, so my responses may seem a little slower than normal.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
Bklyn Gal
2 Bronze

don't worry about timing, Rick, I know you're busy and have your own life! lol  besides, I've gone this long without the NIC working, a little longer isn't going to hurt me!

no, nothing changed after disabling. the ethernet card came with the pc.  isn't this a DELL problem that I'm stuck with? I mean, shouldn't this be their responsibility? I have another phone number to call, I'm going to try that too.  what do you think now?

thanks!  Lori

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Lori,

Call the number. I feel that the card may have failed if drivers doesn't help and a repair install doesn't work.They used to cost about 30 at Radio Shack.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos