Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2005 20:00

Ethernet connection

I have a W2K Dell Optiplex GX110, I am not able to get connected to my home portal 2WIRE using ethernet. I have a Dimension XP and was able to connect without any problems. Any ideas? Thanks.

2 Posts

I am new to this, what is NWAY? What I did on the Dimension was to just plug the rj45 cable from it to the 2WIRE portal (I can add up to 4 PCs) and I was able to connect to the web. For some reason the Dell Gx110 integrated nic card is not getting an ip address from the 2Wire portal. hopefully, this helps explain the problem that I am having...Thanks...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

The most obvious problem would be NWAY negotiation problems.

What happens if you FORCE the speed to be 10 meg Half Duplex in the driver section?

613 Posts

April 30th, 2005 00:00

hi,

is this a cable modem or DSL ? Did you try to shut down the GX110 for 5 minutes and power up again ? Sometimes that helps with cable modems.

What ip address does the GX110 use since you say it does not get DHCP data ? Are you using a fixed address maybe ?

You probably checked the cabling. Will the GX110 work on a port that is now properly serving another machine ... just hook up the cable from that machine to the GX110 and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 2nd, 2005 13:00

NWay is a telecommunications protocol used with Ethernet networking devices (such as router and switch) to automatically negotiate the highest possible common transmission speed between two devices. The NWay protocol (also known as auto-negotiation or auto-sensing) was developed by National Semiconductor in 1994 in response to the networking industry's need for a mechanism to handle the connections between devices with varying connection speeds.
In an Ethernet network, a device may have the capability to operate at different speeds. NWay currently supports at least the following technologies:10BASE-T, 10BASE-T duplex, 100BASE-T, 100BASE-TX Full Duplex, and 100BASE-T4. Expanded support capability is likely in the near future.

When a connection to a network device (known as the link partner) has been established, the NWay protocol determines what modes that device uses, sends information about its own capabilities, and automatically configures the highest common performance mode. NWay works by taking control of the cable connected to a network device and operating like a rotary switch (an electromechanical device with a rotating shaft at one terminal that makes or breaks connections with other terminals) to change to the best mode possible, and passing control of the cable to the appropriate technology.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000304055001/http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/NWay.html

No Events found!