Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2017 16:00

Ethernet port stopped working

I am running windows 7 home on my Dell XPS 8700.  The ethernet port has worked until recently and now I only get access wirelessly,  I am plugged directly into my router that is also plugged directly in to a ROKU which works fine, so I assume it is the PC that is not working.  I looked for an ethernet item in the device manager but cannot see anything there.  Where would it appear?  I also downloaded some updates recently.  Perhaps I need to restore to an earlier date?  Any advice

532 Posts

January 7th, 2017 13:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community. Please let us know the following,

1. Were there any hardware or software changes made to the system
2. Please check the network icon on the bottom right of the screen, does it have a redx/ exclamation mark?
3. We also suggest you to right click on the network icon and click on troubleshoot problems. Share the outcome/ error messages.
4. Do you see any physical damage on the ethernet port?
5. Have you tried an alternate ethernet cable?

3 Posts

January 7th, 2017 14:00

I have 3 PCs connected via Ethernet. I discovered that all 3 had their "local connection" (Ethernet) disabled, likely do to a software update. Everything is working again!

Thank you for your help.

3 Posts

January 13th, 2020 17:00

hello..i was using my dekstop optiplex 7040 last night when i suddenly can't connect to the internet.i checked my ethernet port and the green light is blinking but the orange light is steady..there's red exclamation mark on the lower right of my screen..what seems to be the problem?

No Events found!