Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

March 16th, 2005 22:00

FTP problem

I can't access any ftp sites with my new 8600 w/WinXP Pro w/sp2. I can access them fine using my older Inspiron 8000 running WinME. I tried disabling the Windows firewall and the McAfee firewall. Everything else is OK. Trying with IE, the program just stops responding (using the ftp:// first).

I've also tried using SmartFTP and the server is found but either refused to connect or allow a login. Any ideas appreciated.

Larry

4.4K Posts

March 17th, 2005 00:00

Larry,

If you're connecting through a router, you'll probably have to set up "passive mode" in both IE and SmartFTP. That's under "Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Browsing" in IE.

Jim

27 Posts

March 17th, 2005 00:00

Jim,

Both IE and SmartFTP were already set to passive mode (I checked) but thanks for the suggestions. I will check out some of the other links though.

Larry

27 Posts

March 17th, 2005 09:00

Hi Jim,

Well, no luck still. The other links were helpful but didn't resolve the issue.

Any more ideas please?

Larry

4.4K Posts

March 17th, 2005 17:00

Larry,

The links listed in my "signature" are of a general nature, and may not apply in a given situation. One that might be halpful is the very last one in the "XP Networking help" section (Repair tool for Winsock 2 Problems). Did you try downloading and running that?

Let's gather a bit of history. Was FTP working before SP2 installed? Do you recall any changes to your system that were made just before the problem began? Have you scanned the system for viruses and spyware/malware using SpyBot and Ad-Aware?

Also, double-check your firewall settings. Having both the Microsoft SP2 firewall and McAfee's installed can cause problems.

Jim

27 Posts

Jim,

The system is new and came with sp2 installed already. The Windows firewall is disabled and I temporarily disabled the McAfee firewall to try ftp. If it had worked without the firewall, I would have enabled it with the appropriate settings.

I tried downloading the AdAware but haven't been able to yet. I will try this again but can't imagine that I have gotten something 'bad' using the Internet already, especially since the McAfee security system has been running all along. I guess its possible though.

Anyway, I've only had the system for 10 days and I just tried using ftp about 3 days ago. Normal downloads work fine (with http emulating ftp).

Thanks for any help

Larry

4.4K Posts

Larry,

Malware isn't always detected by antivirus products. And if it's malware, it may have slipped in "under the radar" of the network security settings.

So FTP has never been known to work on the system, right? If you don't have much installed on the system yet, you might want to consider restoring it to its factory installed state using Dell's "PC Restore" utility.

That's pretty drastic if you've invested a lot of time installing and configuring things, though.

Jim

27 Posts

March 18th, 2005 00:00

Thanks Jim,

I may try the restore option. I've loaded pretty much everything on the machine already but it bothers me that this won't work. I was going to spend the money on one of the software support options but that bothers me also - why should I pay to get help to fix something that should have been working in the first place.

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it. If I decide to bite the bullet and do the restore, I will post the results.

Larry

4.4K Posts

March 18th, 2005 01:00

Larry,

Restoring is a last resort, especially since you've invested considerable time in setting the machine up.

Have you tried looking for malware yet? I'd be very surprised if Dell's software support would be able to figure this one out.

Something this specific has to be either firewall-related or a result of some other software-based block.

Jim

27 Posts

March 18th, 2005 16:00

Hi Jim,

I haven't tried AdAware yet because I can't download it from Download.com. I think it uses ftp in the background since I see a little popup window when I click on the download button. I'll try getting it on my other machine, transfer it and then run it. What a process!!

Do you know if the restore procedure mentioned brings everything back to the way it was by 'restoring' it from an area on the hard drive or does it clean everything off and load Windows, etc. from scratch?

Thanks

Larry

4.4K Posts

March 18th, 2005 16:00

Larry,

I checked download.com's Ad-Aware download, and it indeed is via FTP. You may want to skip that step, and download HijackThis, a malware analysis and repair tool, from malwareremoval.com, and submit a log for review. That download is via HTTP.

DELL-ChrisM has posted an excellent set of notes on using HijackThis. Skip over the "cleanmgr" instructions, and begin with the step shown as "Go here". That's a link to ChrisRLG's "malwareremoval.com" site.

If you decide to post a HijackThis log, be sure to explain the problem, so the volunteer experts will know what to look for. You might also want to post a link back to this thread, so they can see what's been tried.

Regarding the Dell PC Restore utility - it restores the C: partition to the "as-shipped" state from Dell - drivers, other utilities, and all. It does that by replacing the contents of the C: partition from an image that's stored in a hidden partition on your drive. That means it wipes out everything on the C: partition!

Jim

27 Posts

March 18th, 2005 18:00

Jim,

Thanks again. I ran HiJackThis and posted the log here:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_hijack&message.id=122

I looked at it and didn't see anything particularly suspicious but I'm not an expert on that, at all.

I'm mentally preparing myself to do the restore. I think I'll eventually have to do it. I bought the system with Office 2003, McAfee and some Sonic apps already installed. I have the CDs for a reinstall but I hope they are on the image as well. That's actually a nice feature, at least I don't have to do a full Windows re-installation. In a prior life I had to do that many times...

I'll report back what happens.

Larry

4.4K Posts

March 18th, 2005 18:00

Larry,

I'm no expert either, but these two look fishy:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = bredonda.com:80
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1;

There's no registration information available for the domain "bredonda.com". That's odd. Did you know you had a proxy server configured?

Jim

27 Posts

March 18th, 2005 19:00

Hi Jim,

Actually I didn't know there was a proxy server but bredonda.com is the marina's website that I connect through to the Internet. That would be OK. (I live on a boat, currently in Venezuela)

Thanks.

Larry

4.4K Posts

March 18th, 2005 20:00

Larry,

I wonder if the proxy has problems with FTP! When you tried SmartFTP, did you let it use the browser proxy settings?

Jim

4.4K Posts

March 19th, 2005 01:00

Larry,

So without the proxy setting, http works but ftp doesn't, and with it, neither does? It looked to me from the HijackThis log like there was a proxy server configured in Internet Explorer (bredonda.com:80), which would cause all outbound traffic from IE to go via the proxy! I'm soooo confused! :smileytongue:

Hopefully one of the HijackThis analysts will spot your post in that board soon. It's looking like it might have been missed.

(edit) I sent a note to one of the analysts Friday night to let them know that your log is waiting to be looked at, so they know that the additional discussion with "msgale" about FTP wasn't a response to the log, but to the problem.

Given that three FTP clients are all exhibiting the same problem, it's either malware or a problem with the ISP/proxy settings. Have you tried contacting them?

Jim

Message Edited by jimw on 03-19-2005 02:07 PM

No Events found!