Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2009 10:00

Frequent WiFi Disconnects

Hi,

I notice that I am frequently getting disconnected when I use my WiFi.  I play WoW and it's really getting annoying.  Perhaps this has something to do with the excessive heat of my laptop?

I am using a Dell Studio XPS 16 with Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN.

Is there any way I can configure my network card to perform better?  These disconnects are quite annoying.

19 Posts

December 10th, 2009 08:00

What OS?

I have gone 'off the reservation' in the past on XP, Vista and Win 7 boxes and used Intel's drivers available directly from their site rather than the Dell drivers.  Unlike many manufacturers they don't stonewall you by forcing you to obtain drivers only from the OEM (Dell).  They may not be 'certified' by Dell but certainly have helped me diagnose, compare and/or fix problems.

Other than driver versions/features the most frequent item I look at is power management.  I ALWAYS disable the 'allow the computer to turn off this device' option.  First of all the power consumption is hardly an issue.  Second, why would I want to power off my network adapter in this day and age of remote desktop, automatic e-mail checks and so forth?

No Events found!