Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2003 15:00

HELP !! - Truemobile 1400 Internet Connection

Hi,

Up until recentlly I was connecting to the internet via my dsl modem and the 8600 laptop's built-in nic.

Now, I would like to network my laptop and other pc's and share the high speed internet connection.  So, I purchased a Linksys WRT54G wireless G router.  On my regular PC, my network connection is working fine through the router.  For the 8600 laptop, the truemobile 1400 is finding a wireless connection fine (connects at 54 mbps) but for the internet it keeps wanting to connect using the old NIC connection and no option to go to the wireless card.

This is probably a stupid question, but how do I configure the 8600 laptop to go to the wireless connection to the router now instead of the old NIC connection??

I still would like to setup a network between these two computers but that's another issue once the internet problem is solved.

Any assistance you can offer as soon as possible is greatly appreciated.  I'm obviously new at this networking stuff.

Thanks

795 Posts

Lugnu,

Open IE, Click Tools on the Menu bar and select Internet Options.  On the Connections tab make sure it is set to "Never dial...." Then click the LAN Settings button and make sure none of the checkboxes are checked.  OK out.  Restart IE.

795 Posts

Lugnu,

Open Network Connections, right click on the local Area Connection and select Disable.  Windows XP will be forced to use the wireless link.

13 Posts

Thanks for the quick response but unfortunately that doesn't correct the problem.  I still keep getting the dial up connection window.  If I click connect there, the it attempts to connect (as if using the NIC) but never succeeds.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

13 Posts

Again thanks for your response.  That does get rid of the dial up connection window popping up but now I get the message that no conneciton to the internet is currently available.  When I retry the connection, still get the message that the web page cannot be displayed.  THe wireless card though shows a connection of 54mpbs.

I can't get this or any networking to work at all.  Is there an easyway to determine if these devices are communicating to one another?  How do you ping the other computer?

Thanks

795 Posts

November 23rd, 2003 17:00

Lugnu,

Open a Command Prompt and enter the command IPCONFIG /ALL (note there is a space between the G and the /). Take note of the Wireless Network Connection information.  You should have an IP address of 192.168.1.xxx where xxx will be some number.  The gateway address should be 192.168.1.1 and there should be at least one DNS server address, which is provided by your ISP.  If they are anything different, you are not receiving a valid IP address from the router.

Do the same IPCONFIG /ALL command on the desktop.  Note the desktop's IP address.  Then use the ping command to see if the two PCs are talking.  From a Command Prompt on the laptop enter PING 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is the last digits of the desktop's IP address.  You can also use this command from the desktop to the laptop, using the correct IP addresses.

If the laptop is receiving correct DNS server addresses, use the ping command from the laptop to ping one of those addresses.

Post back the results. 

13 Posts

November 23rd, 2003 18:00

Ok here is what i get.

ip address: 0.0.0.0

Does this make any sense?

Thank you for your help.

795 Posts

November 23rd, 2003 18:00

Lugnu,

The 0.0.0.0 IP address says you are not properly communicating with the WRT54G.  Have you configured the router properly for wireless communication.  At this point you should not try to use WEP encryption and should be broadcasting the router's SSID "in the clear."  From the desktop, log onto the router and change the routers channel to either channel 1 or 11 (the default channel is 6).  You may be experiencing interference from another wireless device in the house or a neighbor's wireless router.  Power off the laptop and then turn it back on to see if it associates on the new channel.

In the laptop, Open Network Connections and right click on the Wireless Network Connection.  Select Properties and then the Wireless Networks tab.  Enter in the preferred network, that is, the SSID of the WRT54G.  Then click Refresh to see if you associate with the router.  Disable IEEE 802.1x authentication.

Message Edited by _Paladin on 11-23-2003 02:42 PM

13 Posts

November 23rd, 2003 19:00

Paladin,

Many, many thanks cause its finally working.  It seems to connecting fine now (48 mbps).

How do i get now out of the "in the clear" mode and back to something more secure.  How do you turn WEP on?

Thanks again for your help.

795 Posts

November 23rd, 2003 19:00

Lugnu,

Great to hear that.

Read this thread regarding SSID broadcast.  Enabling WEP depends on the equipment, so I suggest you read the documentation that came with the router and TM1400.  It will probably be enabled on the router's Setup tab, after you log on to the router's browser based configuration utility.  I can't help with the wireless adapter since I don't have a TM1400.

No Events found!