Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2013 06:00

Having problems with WiFi - none showing up when I open Network and Sharing Centre

Hi folks,

I have having trouble connecting to my wifi or any wifi at all. I recently had huge problems with my laptop and had to do a complete uninstall of windows. After doing this I couldn't find my original CDs that came with the laptop but the IT guy in work kindly connected me up with windows for 30 days (I think) or until I get the issue resolved. Hopefully someone can help as I've borrowed a friends dongle and don't want to use it too often. I did an ipconfig/all and got the following results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Louise>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Louise-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

PPP adapter O2 Mobile Connect:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : O2 Mobile Connect
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 100.64.59.143(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
   Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.11.12.13
   Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 10.11.12.14
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E/RTL8103E Family PCI-E Fa
st Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F0-4D-A2-C9-67-A8
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{E844C5FB-8994-4CD3-89C3-BC6326839858}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter isatap.{C3E4364B-2294-41A0-ABFC-F65396FB9E32}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:6440:3b8f::6440:3b8f(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:c40:19ef:9bbf:c470(Prefe
rred)
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c40:19ef:9bbf:c470%15(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Users\Louise>

1.5K Posts

June 1st, 2013 06:00

Hi Arenal,

It appears that the Wireless card drivers are not installed on the system. Please share the system model and operating system installed. Also, share the screenshot of the Device Manager with the Network Adapters and Other Devices expanded. Here are the steps:

• Press the key combination Windows Logo key + R key to open Run dialog box.
  • Type in devmgmt.msc and click OK.
  • The Device Manager windows will appear.
  • Click on the sign next to Network Adapters and Other Devices to expand it.

Also, share the Hardware Ids of the device which has a bang in the Device Manager, this will assist me to identify device and its drivers. Here are the steps:

• Open Device Manager.
  • Select your device and right click on it.
  • Click Properties from the drop down list.
  • Click Details and then click Device description button to select Hardware Ids.
  • Share the Hardware Ids mentioned under Value.

Please reply with the information.

June 1st, 2013 07:00

It won't let me do a print screen; I've tried to do it to notepad as I don't have my MS Office pack reinstalled yet either but getting nowhere..

Network Adapters:

• Realtek RTL8102E/RTL8103E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
  • SonicWALL Virtual NIC

Other Devices:

• Network Controller - this is where my concern is because there is a yellow exclamation mark (what looks like one anyway) where it says Network Controller.

Hope you can help. Might there be a driver online that I can download?

Many thanks

Louise.

Forgot to mention that I'm running Windows 7 Intel i3 core processor!! As mentioned I uninstalled windows and when I went to reinstall couldn't find the CDs needed. Would this be part of the problem. Louise.

1.5K Posts

June 1st, 2013 08:00

Hi Louise,

Thank you for sharing the information. Please provide the exact system model. Also, you will need to use MS Paint for capturing the screenshot. Here are the steps:

• Click on Start, type Paint in the Search box and open it.
  • Press the PrtScn key and paste in Paint.
  • Save the image and share it.

Also, the Network Controllers which is showing the bang is for the wireless drivers not being installed. Please share its Hardware Ids, following the steps from my previous reply.

Please reply if you have any questions.

June 1st, 2013 10:00

The system I'm using is an Inspiron 15R.

Bear with me, I've had no IT training so finding some of this difficult to do. I should have left it to a professional when I first discovered the problem.

'Also, share the Hardware Ids of the device which has a bang in the Device Manager, this will assist me to identify device and its drivers. Here are the steps:

• Open Device Manager - DONE
  • Select your device and right click on it. - CANNOT FIND MY DEVICE; IS IT FIRST THING LISTED; LOUISE-PC
  • Click Properties from the drop down list. WHEN I DO THIS ON LOUISE-PC I GET 'SCAN FOR HARDWARD CHANGES AND ADD LEGACY HARDWARE

• Click Details and then click Device description button to select Hardware Ids. - HAVEN'T MANAGED TO GET THIS FAR!

June 2nd, 2013 12:00

Any suggestions on how to solve my Wi-Fi problem.. If anyone can throw any light on the situation I would bee really grateful...

1.5K Posts

June 4th, 2013 04:00

Hi Louise,

Apologies for a late reply.

Thank you for sharing the information. The screenshot of Device Manager shared by you displays that Network Controller has a bang on it. This indicates that the drivers for your wireless card are not installed. Please follow the below mentioned steps to share its Hardware Ids:

• Right click on Network Controllers.
  • Click on Properties from the drop down menu.
  • Click Details and then click Device description button to select Hardware Ids.

Also, I need the exact model of Dell Inspiron 15R system which you are using. Dell Inspiron 15R series has following models:

• Inspiron 15R 5521
  • Inspiron 15R 5520
  • Inspiron 15R 5537
  • Inspiron 15R N5110
  • Inspiron 15R SE 7520

Please reply with the information, so that I can find the correct driver for you.

June 4th, 2013 13:00

Hi there,

Apologies for my late reply - I was in work all day. I installed drivers yesterday under instruction from Rick one of your colleagues but I still cannot connect so am currently using a dongle which was given to me by the IT guy in work. I am running an Inspiron 15R N5010. There is something else that you can help me with maybe, I am unable to make out the product key on the back of my machine. I think it is <ADMIN NOTE: Product key removed per privacy policy>; my service tag is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> if that is any help.

Here is a print screen of my device manager now after installing the recommended drivers:

I am really anxious to get this issue sorted out as soon as possible now.

Many thanks

Louise.

1.5K Posts

June 5th, 2013 07:00

Hi Louise,

Thank you for sharing the information.

It appears that the system came installed with Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 wireless card. On checking the screenshot shared by you, I found that there is a yellow bang on the wireless icon in the system tray. Please run Network Troubleshooter and check if that fixes the issue. If any error appears, please note it and share with me. You may refer to the link http://bit.ly/ZOrqMm for steps on how to run Network Troubleshooter.

Please reply with the results.

June 5th, 2013 14:00

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your patience with me! We seem to be working opposite hours to each other and missing each others messages. I followed the steps with the network trouble-shooter and got the following:

I ran the repairs as administrator and got the following results:

Look forward to hearing from you.

Louise.

1.5K Posts

June 6th, 2013 08:00

Hi Louise,

Please follow the below mentioned steps to enable the DHCP Client services:

• Press the key combination Windows Logo key + R key to open Run dialog box.
  • Type in services.msc and click OK.
  • The Services windows will appear.
  • Look for DHCP Client service, right click on it and click Start to enable it. Also, make sure that the Startup Type is selected as Automatic.

Follow the below mentioned steps to use a Dynamic IP Address:

• Right click on the wireless icon and open Network and Sharing Center.
  • Click on Manage Wireless Networks on the left hand side.
  • Right click on the Wireless Network Connection 3 and click on Properties from the drop down menu.
  • Under the Networking tab you will see Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
  • Click on it to highlight it and click Properties.
  • Check the options Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.
  • Save and exit.

Try connecting to your wireless network, if the issue still persists please try and check if the system is connecting to any other network at hotspot or one your friends.

Hope this helps. Please share the findings.

June 6th, 2013 16:00

Hi Saharsh,

The start button is greyed out in the DHCP Client but it is selected as automatic. I tried to refresh but still start is greyed out. When I open the network and sharing centre there is no reference to Wireless Network Connection 3. See screenshot below. I still have the yellow bang on the wireless icon.

The DHL Light on my router/modem is constantly flashing also. Should I contact my ISP. Also any luck obtaining my product key?

Many thanks

Louise.

June 7th, 2013 10:00

Hi Saharsh,

You've solved the wifi problem for me - all I need now is the product key: I have only a couple of days left with the temporary key that was given to me in work. See picture attached: the product key (as far as I can make it out) is not being accepted on my system.

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks for everything.

1.5K Posts

June 7th, 2013 11:00

Hi Louise,

Glad to know that the wireless issue is resolved for you. Please share out of the following which version of Windows 7 have you installed, also it it is 32bit or 64bit:

• Windows 7 Starter
  • Windows 7 Home Basic
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Windows 7 Professional
  • Windows 7 Enterprise
  • Windows 7 Ultimate

Please share the information, will take it further from there. Also, Please remove the picture as it displays the system's Service Tag from public view for security reasons.

No Events found!