Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 26th, 2014 11:00

Hotspot Station Quit Working

New computer - XPS-8700.  Windows 7 Pro, SP1.   No real problems with the machine.  However, I am having a new problem with Hotspot Station.  Although HS sees my phone and iPod and each of those see my network, neither of them will connect to the net through HS.  The devices were connecting just fine until sometime yesterday afternoon, then for some reason, they stopped connecting.  Both devices display all of the DHCP info - IP, Subnet, Router etc - Except the Client ID, which is blank. The computer and devices have been re-booted to no avail.   Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

38 Posts

June 7th, 2014 16:00

Rick:

Yes, the driver I recently installed on my XPS 8700 was this one:

Dell Wireless1703 802.11 b/g/n,BT4.0 + HS Driver,   Version 9.2.0.514, A00

So as you suggested, the HS almost certainly stands for "HotSpot Station".  So that's obviously how I got the unwanted install of both Hotspot and Atheros "SmartNet" (asav.exe).  They are both located in the directory created at the time of the driver install.   Both of which apparently are somehow triggered to run on their own, at least for the first time.   After that surprise,  I have since changed the names of the executable files so they won't run.

You asked me to PM you to "try something", but I'm not the one with the HotSpot issue I was just adding that it's not solely on the factory image, but is also present in at least some wireless driver packages, as I discovered to my surprise.   I'll bow out now.  Thanks!

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2014 00:00

TimeRanger,

Since HotSpot Station is only on the factory image and I cannot find a download for this, you can try reading this...

Using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) - Microsoft Windows Help

and

Set up a shared Internet connection using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) - Microsoft Windows Help

Rick

38 Posts

June 7th, 2014 05:00

Rick:

Are you sure it's only on the factory image?    I just did a clean install of Windows 7, and it appears that Hotspot was added when I loaded the downloaded driver file for the Wireless card adapter.    So my impression was that it was bundled with the wireless driver install file (DW 1703 card), along with another utility called "Atheros Smart Net".    The date/time on the help folders for Hotspot are showing the  time when I ran the driver install file.

The Hotspot program later ran automatically on its own, which chagrined me.   I didn't even know what it was.    I opened Task Manager and accidentally saw an app running on its own  related to wireless and then I saw "Hotspot" listed in the recently-run programs of the Start menu.  That's how I got to looking and saw that Hotspot had been installed and was trying to run on its own, and was showing up as running as an app in the Task Manager window.  .  Luckily, I had earlier disabled my wireless adapter, so I don't think Hotspot was able to do anything, but I have no idea how long it was running.   And I have no idea what the trigger was that launched it.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 7th, 2014 11:00

Lone Star,

I'm wondering if the drivers that has HS after them contain HotSpot Station. There may be a few drivers with this application. I have contacted my sources and we could not find a download for just HotSpot Station.

If you CLICK HERE, on the next page, send a private message, I have something we may be able to try. Make sure you mention HotSpot Station

Rick

2 Posts

June 7th, 2014 16:00

Rick, Many thanks for the response.  Unfortunately, nothing I have tried so far has worked.  HS still sees my devices (cell & i-pod) and those things see HS, but I still cannot access the net from either device, through HS.  HS used to work fine, but just suddenly stopped - even though I changed no settings.  Would you know of other software (free) that will perform the same task?  Thanks again!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 8th, 2014 10:00

TimeRanger,

You can share your Internet connection by reading the following links, so HotSpot Station is not needed.

Using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) - Microsoft Windows Help

Set up a shared Internet connection using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) - Microsoft Windows Help

Rick

No Events found!