Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 2nd, 2004 20:00

How to network DirecWay High-Speed Satellite Internet

Hello. I am about to get DirecWay High-Speed Satellite Internet. I would like some comments on how DirecWay is for people that have it. And if anyone knows how to network Direcway through CAT5 Ethernet wiring installed in home without using an routers, hubs, or switches. Please give me a handful of comments. Thank You.

Matt

795 Posts

June 2nd, 2004 23:00

mtpg13,

This is a link to the satellite forum at BroadBandReports.com.  Lots of good information there.

As far as how well it works, you need to understand the limitations.  First, there is the inherent delay in transmitting the signal 44,000 miles (up to the satellite and back down) for every packet sent.  Web surfing works pretty well, but there is a 5-10 second delay when you click a link.  The actual transmission of the data is pretty quick.  There is a Fair Access Policy, which basically monitors your usage and will cut you off or slow you down if you over use your fair share of bandwidth.  This usually occurs if you do a lot of downloading.  Web surfing will not invoke the Fair Access Policy.  And then there is the weather, which can raise havoc with the satellite signal.

As far as connecting it goes, and assuming you are getting a DW6000 system, it is pretty easy.  No different than connecting DSL or Cable broadband.  Connect the satellite modem to a router's WAN (Internet) port and then connect the PCs to the the router's LAN ports.  You seem intent on not wanting a router, which is a ill advised course of action.  Since the house is wired, spend $20-40 and get a router.  Mount it where all the cat5 cable terminates, probably in the basement.  The satellite modem could also be in the same location.

If you absolutely don't want the router, you will have to implement Internet Connection Sharing on the PC that will connect to the satellite modem.  That PC will need 2 ethernet NICS.  ICS is built into Windows and works pretty well 90% of the time.  The other 10% will drive you nuts.  Get a router.

No Events found!