Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2010 19:00

I can't change my Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card mac address - not the regular "How do I change my MAC address?"

Hi all!

I want to change my wireless mac addres, but i can't.

I tried from the device managger on the usuall way, i tried from regedit and i also tried with mac changer programms.

In the regedit, the Network address changed, but when i type the "ipconfig /all" commant to the cmd it show me my default mac address.

I also tried to connect to the network witch use mac filter (that's, why i want to change my mac) , but i can't.

What should i do? Please help me.

Bye, Ghingis

ps: sorry for my bad english

edit: probably it helps, i use win7

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 21st, 2010 01:00

Ghingis,

How do I change my MAC address? 

Rick

4 Posts

January 21st, 2010 02:00

PudgyOne,

Please read the topic too, not only the title.

I know, how should i do it, but it not works...

Ghingis

626 Posts

January 21st, 2010 13:00

Are you mistakenly using an invalid MAC address?

The appropriate assigned ranges and exceptions for the locally administered address include the following:
•  The range is 00:00:00:00:00:01 to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FD. 

•  Do not use a multicast address (least significant bit of the high byte = 1). 

•  Do not use all 0s or all F's. 

Some examples of multicast MAC addresses are as follows:

01:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
03:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
05:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
07:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
09:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
0b:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
0f:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
1f:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
3F:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
7F:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
FF:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

If you're unsure of whether or not the MAC you're trying to use is valid, post it in here and I can tell you.

3 Posts

January 29th, 2010 05:00

I am having the same problem as Ghingis.

I have multiple devices connected to my home LAN. 2 other notebooks, 1 desktop, 1 pocket PC, 1 ipod, 1 Wii and all still connect when I turn on MAC Filtering on my router.  My Dell will NOT connect with Mac Filtering turned on.  I went into the hardware profile to change to Mac Address to see if that would resolve the issue and found that it is still sending out the original Mac Address even though I have entered a new value.

I tried using a 3rd Party software to change the Mac Address to see if I could connect to my router with Mac Filtering turned on and it is unable to change the Mac Address on my Dell.  (The software is SMAC 2.0 by KLC Consulting www.klcconsulting.net/smac/ )  I am able to change the Mac Address on my other computers using this software. And my other computers can still connect to my router with the changed Mac Address when I update the filtering table in my router to include the "new" mac addresses. This software is able to change the Mac Address on my Dell ethernet connection, but not the wireless connection.

Please Note: The issue that I'm trying to resolve is connecting my Dell to my wireless router using Mac Filtering.  The only reason that I have tried to change the Mac Address is to see if that would help resolve the issue.  When I found that I am unable to change my Mac Address on the 1397 WLAN Mini-Card, I'm guessing that it is somehow related to the issue that I'm trying to resolve.

Please Help!

Thanks, GrandePapa (Big Daddy was already taken :emotion-2: )

I

626 Posts

January 29th, 2010 08:00

Try modifying the MAC via the registry (i'm assuming that you're using windows)

http://www.windowsreference.com/networking/how-to-change-mac-address-in-windows-registry/

I've never done it myself so I have no idea if it will work but I know that there is a way to change the MAC address via the registry.

And be sure that you're trying to use a valid MAC address.  Here are some guidelines:

•  The range is from 00:00:00:00:00:01 to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FD. 

•  Do not use all 0s or all F's. 

•  Do not use a multicast address (least significant bit of the high byte = 1). 

Some examples of multicast MAC addresses are as follows:

01:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
03:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
05:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
07:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
09:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
0b:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
0f:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
1f:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
3F:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
7F:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
FF:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

3 Posts

January 29th, 2010 12:00

Tester25

Thank you for the suggestion; however, this did not resolve my issue.

In the Windows Device Manager under the Advanced Tab for the Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card Properties, there is a property titled "Locally Administered MAC Address" and the factory setting was "Not Present".  With this value there was no NetworkAddress entry in the registry for the key specified in your link.

When I would choose a value in the Window Device Manager and enter a MAC address, it would create the entry in the registry automatically for NetworkAddress containing the MAC Address value that I entered in the properties screen.

Even with the update to the registry, my Dell still connects to my router with the same MAC Address regardless what value I entered in the NetworkAddress in the Registry.  Additionally, My Dell will not connect to my router when MAC Filtering is turned on even though the MAC Address for the 1397 WLAN card is included in my Router Allowed table.

Please let me know if you or anyone else has additional suggestions.

--GrandePapa :emotion-6:

4 Posts

January 29th, 2010 15:00

As i said my problem is the same and i still can't make it.

But i already tell this to the network support, and they change my mac in the filter....

3 Posts

February 1st, 2010 11:00

Even though I can not change my MAC Address of my Dell 1397 WLAN Half-Card, I have entered it's MAC Address into my router filter list.  When MAC Address filtering is enabled on my router, My Dell will not connect.

Any other suggestions?

1 Message

March 31st, 2010 09:00

I'm running Windows XP and I have the same problem with a Dell 1390 card.  Under Advanced settings, there's a driver configuration option for "Locally Administered MAC Address", but setting a value does nothing.  Running "IPCONFIG /all" still shows the original MAC address.  This problem exists using the latest and previous versions of the 1390 driver.  But if I install an older version of the driver (prior to version 5.60), I can change the MAC address.  This is clearly a problem with the recent drivers.  I've had to revert to the older versions to change the MAC address, but then the card connects to my wireless network at reduced speeds (< 54 Mbps).

1 Message

November 2nd, 2010 12:00

Im having the same problem. Im using a Dell Inspiron 15R laptop which has a "DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini". When i try to enter my MAC adress to my router (Linksys WAG160N) I get the error "The MAC adress cant be the multicast adress". Anyone has any ideas?

12 Posts

February 17th, 2011 22:00

i have a dell studio xps 1340 with a dell wireless 1510 wireless card (a broadcom) driver 5.30.21.0

i too cannot change mac addresses using device manager, the registry or smac.

what is interesting tho is DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE 

that is the only mac address i can actually change to. if anyone reads this and cannot change their mac address please try

DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE and see if that works.

4 Posts

February 17th, 2011 23:00

DEAD BEEF CAFE

How cool response, wait.... NOT!

It's little bit lame...

12 Posts

February 20th, 2011 09:00

dead beef cafe is the only mac address i can succcessfully change to. heh

5 Posts

May 27th, 2011 05:00

I'm using N3010, DW1501.

I can change MAC Address to two formats.

'0a-0a-0a-0a-xx-xx'

'de-ad-be-ef-xx-xx'

last two xx-xx can be variable.

1 Message

April 8th, 2012 12:00

It works 

DownloadTechnitium MAC Address Changer

No Events found!