Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2004 08:00

I cant seem to connect to the internet via my Router

I bought a wireless USR robotics 22Mbps Wireless cable/DSL router(model USR8022 /USR18022) for my laptop but cant get it to dial the internet.

This router allows wired & wireless connections and can also be conected to 56K dialup/adsl/broadband

Let me explain what i have done so far :-
1) connected USR robotics serial 56K modem to the Router
2) connected the Router to my Laptop via a wired cable
3) IP address of router is 192.168.123.254, so i configured my Laptop with 

i)  IP address 192.168.123.120 
     ii) submask 255.255.255.0
     iii) Default gateway 192.168.123.254

4) I turned off built-in XP Pro firewall
5) I deleted my existing modem dialup connections in windows explorer->Tools->connections ... and then ticked the "Automatically detect setting" box in LAN settings . I also tried unticking it as well same results
6) The connection to the router was established, so i went into router settings via I.E to change WAN settings to Dialup. I even managed to test the serial/dialup modem by dialing from the router config page. It worked fine

7) The problem is when i launch Internet EXplorer, I can hear my modem dialling my ISP and getting access to the internet, BUT I CANT SEEM TO BROWSE THE INTERNET

Same thing happens even when I try the wireless method

SOMETHING IS WRONG SOMEWHERE. HELP WILL BE APRECIATED !

css_jay99
Pentium M 1.7Ghz
768 PC2700 Ram
128 Mb Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo
80 GB - 5400rpm Hard drive
WUXGA 15.4''
Dell Trumobile 1300, Bluetooh
DVD/RW 4X

March 17th, 2004 11:00

So I first of all presume that your Wireless DSL/router is configured or enable to perform NAT - Network Address Translation for you.....as the RFC1918 address space which includes 192.168.0.0 is not permitted on the Internet and is actually dropped by ISP's if they see any....hence why NAT is needed.

Secondly - in your static configuration you also need to configure a DNS server IP address - which would nornally be in this case be the same as your default gateway, but also a DNS Domain for your LAN so the requests can be made correctly for www.dell.com or anything else. DNS is how Web URL's are transformed into IP addresses.

Have you tried using DHCP-dynanmic configuration - as all relevant information would flow down to your PC then

37 Posts

March 19th, 2004 11:00

thanks for the reply,

i think it was a faulty router, so bCos USR help deskcould not resolve my issues, i sent it back

No Events found!