Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2011 14:00

Inspiron 1011, 1397 mini wireless NIC, bcmwl5.sys blue screen

Moved to new house unpacking and found this Dell 1011 I purchased for a Christmas presant last year.  Needless to say problem never fixed, Dell could care less after warranty ran out.  I have not purchased a Dell product since.

Ok rant over.

Running XP Home, using the Dell 1397Mini NIC,  updated driver and the Wireless management would not see any networks, Enable, Disable, Repair connection then sometimes it works.  But most of the time I get the Blue screen with the bcmwl5.sys error.  Searched the drivers Down loaded most and nothing.  Is there any any way to fix this error.  Lan NIC works fine, but if I wanted a Desk top I would have purchased a desktop.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 17th, 2011 17:00

Ken Kanizar,

Sorry to hear about your issues.

Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager), click on network, 1397 adapter, advanced. Look for antenna diversity. Change it from Auto to Aux.

Sometimes BSOD's come from drivers issues and sometimes from malware. I recently help a fellow worker, by reinstalling Windows Xp on her Dell Mini 910. Her blue screens went away. She was noted for installing unnecessary programs and then the issues happen. One program she installed was clean my pc and I think the program caused the BSOD's because the registry was modified.

The bcmwl5.sys error is coming from your Broadcom wireless LAN driver. Was the operating system reinstalled? If so, was the Notebook system utility(you might not have this) and the chipset drivers installed first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

No Events found!