Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

August 29th, 2004 02:00

Inspiron 2500 Speeds Really Slow

I'm just beginning to research this, but I'll post it here hoping for advice while I do that.

My Inspiron w/"Lucent Win Modem" is about 2 1/2 years old and I use dial-up service with several ISPs.  They've been OK mostly because I could typically get speeds of about 42kbps or thereabouts.  One day about two months ago the speeds for all of them--AOL, MSN, and another--all dropped by about half.  Now I am lucky to get 28.8 and often it is closer to the teens!  Too slow even to get e-mail.

I really thought it was a change in my local phone line, local wireline software or some such thing (and I asked Qwest (Colorado) a lot of questions).  I've also had serious spyware, trojan, and virus problems--I thought maybe that was a factor--but now I am very confident my laptop is clean.  Part of the reason is I just bought a desktop and "cleaned off" the laptop and did a bunch of other things.  The new desktop always connects at 44-46kbps using the exact same phone cable and same ISPs/software.

What is wrong with my Dell or its modem?  I have heard that modems can degrade over time but I don't quite understand that.  Do I need to replace it?  Could it be a software problem? 

I read most of the links and FAQs on this board and am going try the modem test described.

Any experience, advice, or suggestions?  Thanks much.

Message Edited by PeterinCO on 09-16-2004 08:08 PM

7.3K Posts

September 15th, 2004 23:00

Ahhh but it can!  The Actiontec softmodems are very susceptable to line noise and load, as verified many times over the 3.5 years I've posted here when the Actiontec modem had trouble connecting or did so at much slower speeds than other notebooks or desktops.

Having a major drop in connect speed happen is usually indicative of a line or load change, which can include the surge suppressors, or of the modem being partially damaged from a surge.

Message Edited by johnallg on 09-15-2004 08:37 PM

September 16th, 2004 11:00

So John, does that mean that you have tried another modem(external) on your laptop at your house and got faster times? All I'm saying is that a soft modem certainly is affected by noise etc but unless you have tried an external modem on your laptop and received better results than maybe the problem with the 2500 or Dell laptops isn't all to do with the modems that they use.

J&K

9 Posts

September 16th, 2004 14:00

This problem seems to have many facets and may even be getting worse.  What is a soft modem, why is it inferior, and how do you correct or replace it?  Why doesn't Dell provide any appropriate warnings or information?  Who are the 1,300 users who seem perpetually online?  Can one assume that they are Dell employees, logged-on when they get to the office, but they don't DO anything?  Why hasn't Dell explained the problem and its solution, here, on the phone to wolfey, or elsewhere?  Don't they want owners to use their Dell computers, buy Dell again, and generally be satisfied?  Why did the Dell moderator instruct me to clear my hard drive and reload anitiquated Windows?  Is this forum really just a sales conduit?

John:  thank you for your input but can you please explain your role?  You provide a link to a Dell-owned parts site yet you don't sport the Dell logo and you appear far more active on the forum than those that do.  Are you with Dell?

It seems we're all pretty knowledgeable here, and expending all kinds of effort, yet we are getting nowhwere.

September 16th, 2004 14:00

Peter;

You have a right to be frustrated, just as we all are. Unfortunately, your anger and frustration aren't being channelled in the right direction. You must do what I have been doing when I have time, and that is to phone their tech support. Don't be scammed into paying for it either. This is a problem that has been around a long time as John has stated. The only way that Dell will listen is if they get enough phone calls and threats of no future business. Customer dissatisfaction is not a problem if the seller doesn't know about the problems.

I am not saying to stop using this forum as it is a viable way to possibly solve the problem. All input is good input until it has been chewed up and spat out as garbage. We all aren't experts in all facets of software and hardware diagnostics. Therefore, it is essential to combine all our resources. That might not just include technical knowledge or resources, but friends, media, politics, etc..... That may sound rash, but the mighty sometimes have to be cut off at the knees to wake up and smell the coffee.

Keep up the good fight!

J&K

9 Posts

September 17th, 2004 00:00

J&K:  it sounds patronizing but you're right.  I saw all the users on this forum and the Dell representatives participating and figured there was a lot of knowledge being shared and help being offered; I looked around and learned that isn't the case.  Yes, the forum has not been helpful.  I'm actually curious if the truth is told about customer dissatisfaction and non-support from Dell if it will be censored (I'm backing it up and printing it).

The nonexistent support from Dell notwithstanding, we're actually having a pretty decent discussion here!  I'll check back for that reason alone.  But, we're not making a whole lot of progress.

I know quite a bit about customer satisfaction, corporate misinformation, etc.  If you like, see my website at www.theResearchSource.net/otherwriting.htm.  If there's a "cover-up" going on maybe I can shed some light on it by writing about it.  In the meantime, I have a few other ideas to pursue.

7.3K Posts

September 24th, 2004 02:00

My desktop modem achieved 40+k when my 4000 would only get 26-31k.

7.3K Posts

September 24th, 2004 02:00

I am not a Dell employee or associated in any capacity with Dell.  I own a notebook and enjoy helping on the forums.  Sometimes I spend a lot of time here; lately between workload and volleyball travelling (daughter) I haven't been as active here.
No Events found!