Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2012 00:00

Inspiron 5520 wireless problem after installing windows 7 64 bit

I recently (2 days ago) bought a Inspiron 5520 laptop from a local online(trustworthy) store ( i7 @ 2.10 Ghz, 6 gb RAM, AMD 7670m).

It came with Ubuntu; it was the only OS they had for this model and I wanted the laptop so much so I bought it anyway.

Given the fact that I simply hate Ubuntu, I installed Windows 7 right away (64 bit).

After the instalation, I had no wireless button, so I looked in Device Manager and found out i missed Ethernet Controller and Network Controller drivers.

I looked up dell site, entered my serial tag and downloaded the given drivers. I now have the wireless option on the bottom of the screen, yet, even though I'm less than 4 meters away from my wireless source, it looks like this:

I tried troubleshooting:

However, in Network Connection it says enabled:

I need some help here, I don't know what to do anymore.

9 Posts

November 25th, 2012 07:00

Horrible community, horrible support for a new user. I'm just going to get it seen by a local expert. Thanks for nothing.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 25th, 2012 12:00

Neoslive,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Desktop/Notebook system software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

9 Posts

November 25th, 2012 13:00

ok but...how? what do i do? reinstall os? restore system? uninstal current drivers from device manager?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Neoslive,

The drivers didn't install properly, so install the chipset drivers, then foillow the list. The Dell System Utilty(If applicable) and the chipset drivers know what is attached to each system and if they're not installed first, installing the drivers will fail.

You should be able to install chipset and then the order won't be a critical. Make sure to install Dell QuickSet listed under applications after the wireless drivers.

Then look at these places to make sure the Connection is enabled

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Neoslive,

Since there is no Dell System Utility, start with the chipset drivers and follow the list. You should see things starting to work.

Rick

9 Posts

indeed I did intall them without following any order...I might have also installed garbage drivers since I didn't know about the serial tag feature...and only after installing manually some drivers i found on dell drivers page i figured i can enter my serial tag to get the drivers right.

now i have two questions:

1. after introducing my serial tag, it gives me no such category as System Utilities. I only have Applications, Chipset, Networking, Input, CPU, Audio, serial ATA, video.

2. what do i do now? reinstall os and then install drivers in given order?

9 Posts

November 25th, 2012 14:00

thanks, i got that. but I meant...how do I get rid of the drivers that are now installed? Since chipset drivers have been installed already but in faulty order, i presume i need to uninstall them first and then reinstall following the proper order. so how am i going to get rid of these bad drivers? system restore? os reinstall?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Neoslive,

In this case, you should be able to install over the ones already installed.

Rick

9 Posts

oh I see. Since it's already 12:14 am here, I'll be messing with the drivers later on. I'm going to get some rest now, will keep you informed about how it goes. Thank you for help

9 Posts

November 26th, 2012 04:00

BIG problem.

I get all my drivers via USB since i have no internet connection...

I installed the chipset drivers first...under CHIPSET category were 4 drivers...one of them installed flawlessly. Then I attempted to install another chipset driver for USB 3 ports which failed for some reason. I thought perhaps it's better to restart the laptop before attending to install the other drivers. And now it won't read my USB!!

What do I do now?!

9 Posts

November 26th, 2012 04:00

I did a system restore, USB working fine. Another problem though: When installing Intel Engine Management (chipset driver) it fails with error : "The setup program failed to start one or more application processes.  Setup will exit."

What do I do?

9 Posts

November 26th, 2012 05:00

I figured i didn't have .NET framework installed and some of the Wireless' driver contents did not install...however i did install everything in the given order (except the problematic one) and i am still unable to connect...same problem

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 27th, 2012 11:00

Neoslive,

Sorry for the delay, a little under the weather. :emotion-6:

Download and install in order...

Intel Rapid Start Technology

Intel Panther Point HM77 Chipset

Intel Management Engine Interface

REALTEK SEMICONDUCTOR CORP Realtek RTS5179 Card Reader

Intel USB3.0

Then download and install...

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 2230

Dell QuickSet

Then tell me what happens.

Rick

3 Posts

December 15th, 2012 23:00

Rick, I am having the same problem. Inspiron 5520, Windows 7 64 bit. Internet via cable is working fine (after successfull instalation of realtek network driver and chipset driver). But wireless could not show up even as icon in the tray. Fn+F2 working fine, but there is no differences, while switching it.

I am trying to follow your order of installation of drivers. But the first step (Intel Rapid Start Technology) is already a problem. During installation an error occurs, saying that my computer does not fit minimal requirements.

I would appreciate some help, thank you.

Trubix

3 Posts

December 16th, 2012 00:00

All other steps working fine for me, but one - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 2230 - after installing this one, windows saying that "this program is not working properly"...

On device manager I only got two errors: no drivers for:

- BCM43142A0

- Network Controller

No Events found!