Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 3rd, 2009 11:00

Inspiron B130 Wireless Disconnects

I have an Inspiron B130 notebook that I had to wipe and reload with the original Dell Disk. I installed the WLAN driver and am able to connect to my wireless LAN. The interface keeps losing its connections for a short period of time and then reconnects on its own. It was working fine before the OS reload. It is running the XP Home OS that came on it originally.

Also, I am able to get the Integrated NIC to function at all.

6 Posts

April 7th, 2009 09:00

Hi Rick-

I got it to work. I do not have the Intel Wireless though. I have the Broadcom 1370 Wireless. What I found is that after I installed the driver and utility for the wireless adapter, the utilty was set to manage the adapter. When it was set to this, the connection was not stable.

There was an option to uncheck which would allow Windows to manage the wireless connection. Once I unchecked it, the connection became 100% stable. Must be a bug in the utility. Either way it is working now!

Thanks for all of your assistance!

Kuderville

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2009 13:00

kunderville,

Since you re-installed the Operating system, this is also what you need.

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet

Rick

6 Posts

April 4th, 2009 08:00

Hi Rick- 

I did install all of the proper drivers for my service tag and installed them in the correct order. I still have the same issue. I can connect for a bit and then it will just disconnect for a short period (like 20-30 seconds) and then reconnect again. I have reset my wireless router several times.

My wife also has a laptop that uses wife with no issues.

If I try using my external wifi card that I have for work, it will work fine and stay connected.

Again, this all worked fine before the reload. I really don't want to have to buy an external card for it if it has one built in.

FYI, I did get the Integrated wired NIC to work. So, I am getting closer.

Thanks,

KUDERVILLE

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 4th, 2009 10:00

kunderville,

I was starting to make a post for you and then it hit me like a freight train. I had issues with Intel ProSet Wireless version 11.5.0.0. It was constantly disconnecting and I kept getting the popup sayint it was connected.. Here's what I did.

Download version 10,5,1,0 of Intel ProSet wireless. Make a system Restore point, just in case.

Go to control panel, add/remove programs, un-install Intel Proset Wireless.

Restart your computer.

Install Version 10.5.1.0 or you'll see it as R138747.EXE.

I used this and never had any issues staying connected, until my son brought home that stupid 2.4gh cordless phone that uses the same frequencies as the wireless router. I use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in my wireless router and haven't had any issues with anything connecting(I use channel 11)

Last little tweak is to do this to all your computers...(I actually did this to everything in networking and all the USB Hubs in the USB Controllers section.)

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

6 Posts

April 4th, 2009 12:00

When I went to delete the Intel Proset, I could not find it. All I had was the Dell WLAN adapter. I did remove that one. I installed the new Proset and it did not work. It also says driver not installed and could not locate a valid interface. Now what? Maybe I don't have the Proset in Mine for Wireless?

KUDERVILLE?

6 Posts

I looked at the original paperwork and it says it has a Broadcom Mini pci card 1370 and that is the driver that I initally loaded and am not having success with.

6 Posts

Since I do not have a wirless driver loaded at the moment, I have Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller under Network and under Other devices is a Network Controller with a yellow exclamation mark.

For my service tag, it shows Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN MiniPCI Card as URGENT and Dell Wireless 1470 Dual-Band WLAN MiniPCI Card as Recommended. I have tried both and have the same results.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

kunderville,

What do you see in the device manager? Anything like yellow exclaimination marks, red x's? What do you see under network?

Rick

My inspiron B130 had Intel ProSet Wireless installed from the factory.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 4th, 2009 14:00

kunderville,

Do you have the drivers disk that came with the computer? The drivers are on that.

Recap.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Chipset driver

Processor Driver (if applicable)

Video

Audio (sound)

Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)

Modem

Network Card

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller 

Website offers - Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Drivers disk offers - Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Drivers I have found that kept me connected

QuickSet(Laptop only) 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

After installing the drivers in this order, look in the device manager and see what you have.The blue Fn & F2 turn on the wireless card and turn it off. You should see the fourth green light lit it the wireless card is turned on.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 7th, 2009 09:00

kunderville,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Glad you got it working. Those were the drivers I got off my sons Inspiron B130. If you colud mark verify answer, yes you can mark your own post, so if others search the forums they can see what you did to fix your problem.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

September 25th, 2011 20:00

I have had the same problem and was glad to find this answer however it has led to another problem.  After changing to allow Windows to manage the wireless connection both the utlilty for the wireless adapter and the Windows Wireless Network Connection report that the signal strength is Low when previously it was always High.  Nothing else has changed.  I am sitting 10 ft from the router.  Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 26th, 2011 07:00

michiganfrog,

Check to see if the antenna wires are on the wireless card. CLICK HERE.

Rick

No Events found!