Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2008 18:00

Intel 3945ABG & application errors using WPA2 mode

I've been attempting to setup up a new Inspiron 1520 (WinXP) with an Intel 3845ABG card to connect to a LinkSys WAG200G router using WPA2 security (AES-CCMP).  Initial configuration of the Intel PROSet/Wireless profile (eg. the network SSID & shared key) went smoothly and I got internet connectivity as expected.

However it seems that every time the laptop is powered down or restarted, the PROSet application seems to have a problem re-establishing connectivity through the saved network profile - at login, the PROSet tray icon just gets stuck in its 'yellow' connection state without ever going green. If I mess around disabling and reenabling devices & the network profile, eventually sometimes I can get connectivity back, but every powerdown kills it again.

I'm pretty IT savy, so I investigated further. An older Inspiron 6400 connects to the network without any problems whatsoever. On the 1520, the PROSet application just pops up a generic error message saying there is a problem with the profile and the PROset troubleshoot mode has 'no available information'. In fact the only insight into the problem seems to come from the PROset wireless event viewer. Specifically, I'm seeing log entries something along these lines [possibly not exact wording]

murocApi.dll 802.1 initialization failure
Authentication starting - failure
Authentication stopping - failure

Eventually after doing all the usual things like locating latest drivers; trying different security modes; etc. etc. I resorted to switching off security altogether in the LinkSys router and relying simply on MAC address filtering for access restriction to my WiFi network. This seems to have completely solved my connectivity problems on the 1520, but isn't really how I want my network configured. Has anyone else hit problems along these lines with the 3945ABG or got any ideas how to resolve them?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2008 20:00

Change your security to WPA TKIP and try it.

Also update the firmware in your wireless router from here.
Broadcast SSID(Change it to something different. Will make it easier to connect)
Use WPA security.

Do NOT use Mac addresses. Conflicts with the security.

Remember - If you have other devices connected, you'll also need to reconfigure them.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2008 21:00

Some people enable WPA security and also use Mac addresses. They then have trouble connecting. Using WPA security is good enough. You need the Mac address for your printer and other devices, if it asks for them but do NOT enter the Mac addresses for your computer(s)

887 Posts

January 12th, 2008 21:00

"Do NOT use Mac addresses. Conflicts with the security."

what do you mean by this?

6 Posts

January 13th, 2008 07:00

Nope WPA mode is no good either.

6 Posts

January 13th, 2008 07:00

> Wireless devices work best on channels 1, 6 and 11
on what grounds do you make this assertion?

6 Posts

January 13th, 2008 08:00

OK, so I think I've got to the root of the problem now - I tried updating the Intel PRO/Wireless drivers on my Inspiron 6400 to the same newer version being used by the 1520, and the laptop went from rock-solid network connectivity to very flaky behaviour.

It seems that the basic 802.11 connectivity is fine, but the new v.11.5.0.0 software (R171131.EXE) seem to create some kind of lock on the internal database of network profiles that prevent the WiFi driver from actually accessing the profile data. Things are ok the first time the profile is created, but on reboot everything just goes downhill. In fact the problem was so severe that even on reinstalling the older drivers, it was still apparently having serious problems accessing the profile database file. In the end, I was forced to delete all my existing network profiles [thanks Intel!] before reinstalling the older v.10.5.1.72 drivers (R138747.EXE).

Anyone else seen anything like this with the new v.11.5.x.x drivers?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 13th, 2008 21:00

You are right. The newer version of Intel ProSet Wireless 11.5.0.0 has bugs in it. I also went back to Intel ProSet Wireless 10.5.1.0, which was the R138747.EXE file you mentioned. Connection is more stable.

In version 11.5.0.0 I kept getting the connected popup.

This needs corrected.

14 Posts

February 2nd, 2008 03:00

WOW! Steve Warr is right. I got this new 1520 laptop a few days ago with a faulty wireless driver, it was the 11. one where it kept going up and down but I read this forum and installed the 10.5 one like forum suggested and BAM! It fixed it. It stays on excelent all the time!!!
No Events found!