Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2015 16:00

Introducing Intel N6235 wifi card into studio 1749

Hi there, I have installed the N6235 wifi card into my dell studio 1749 laptop and I have loaded associated drivers so it is recognised in device manager with no faults showing. However, when I switch on in the system tray it shows the stepped signal strength icon but with a red x. I can reinstall my original wifi card and system works ok. How can I get the new wifi card to work please. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

1.8K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 12:00

Hello,

Are you running Windows on that system, and if so, which version? Vista or Win7?

When you downloaded the drivers did you also download the Intel Proset software utility as well?  ProSet has a built in diagnostic tool you can try.  You may want to take a look at this article that describes how Windows or ProSet control your wireless connection, and make sure you have it set to Proset. 

Normally a red X would mean that the wireless card is disabled in the system but you don't mention whether, when you're switching back to the old card, enabling or turning on wireless in the system.  Try using the F2 key to turn wireless on and off a few times to see if that clears the X out.

Let me know if installing / configuring the Intel ProSet software helps resolve the problem.

Todd

August 3rd, 2015 14:00

Thanks for the response but not managed to sort. To answer some of your questions

I am running windows 7, 64 bit.

I had downloaded the proset software utility and it fails at 1st item hardware utility 'wireless hardware is not bound to transport driver'

I cannot figure out how to get Proset to control my wireless connection. I feel as though there is some software I am missing but cannot figure out what it is!! When I go into programs/intel proset wireless, I have 3 programmes: wifi advanced statistics, wifi event viewer, wifi manual diagnostics. There is no link to control the wifi by intel or windows.

The red x is present and using F2 to switch wireless on/off has no effect - red x remains but I can see it toggle on the screen. When I put my old wifi card back in it is all fine. No red x and I can switch wifi on/off with F2!

Interestingly, with the new card, when I select the Dell WLAN card utility, I get the warning 'there are currently no wireless adapters available and enabled'. Not sure if that means anything.

I can confirm that when I look at device manager, the device is working properly........

I believe that there is something just not allowing it to be switched on - but no idea what.

Hope you can help please...............

1.8K Posts

August 4th, 2015 11:00

Here is a link to the downloads page for the Intel N6235 card and you can download instructions and user's guides from there. Normally those Intel cards install and run pretty quickly so I'm not sure why you're getting that "not bound to transport driver" error unless you're downloading the incorrect driver for your system / Windows version.

Can you provide me with the driver version you currently have on your system for the Intel card?  I'll see what I can find out from there.

Todd

August 4th, 2015 13:00

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the link, but had looked there previously. Have tried all options I can think of - again... The driver I have loaded is 15.11.07 dated 26th Jan 2014. Hope that helps. Thanks very much for the continued support.

Tom

August 4th, 2015 15:00

Hi Todd - Part 2....

Carried on looking at this and found a later driver. Wifi card now has 15.17.01 dated 30/04/2015.

I do seem to be having issues with the proset wireless software. It has now gone direct from the program list and when selected, the only option available is 'import wireless profile'. So have lost the previous 3 programmes : wifi advanced statistics, wifi event viewer, wifi manual diagnostics. I still have no link to control the wifi by intel or windows. Bamboozled........

Tom

1.8K Posts

August 5th, 2015 09:00

Hi Todd - Part 2....

Carried on looking at this and found a later driver. Wifi card now has 15.17.01 dated 30/04/2015.

From this link, the most current driver version for Windows 7 is 18.11.0.   It was just released in July.   

I would recommend going into Device Manager, removing all wireless network drivers, as well as going into your Add/Remove software and remove any of the Intel Proset listings you see, download the above driver, and then reboot to see what happens.  Make sure you download the correct version for your system, either the 32-bit or 64-bit version.  (there is a link "Which file should I download", use that if needed)

All I can guess right now is that you have something on your system causing a conflict with the Proset software and maybe clearing all those out drivers and reinstalling will help.

Todd

August 5th, 2015 16:00

Hi Todd,

Still not working. Proset software loaded - (I had to manually configure), I tried the WIFI connection utility and it says there are 'no supported wifi adapters available in the system'. I can confirm the card is still recognised and the right drivers are loaded which are the same as the link you provided.

When I run the proset software utility, it still fails at 1st item hardware utility 'wireless hardware is not bound to transport driver'

I do wonder if I have a dodgy card? Anyway if you have any other bright ideas, let me know but I guess we are getting to the end of what you can do. Thanks for the continued support. Looks like I may have to revert to my old card.

Tom

1.8K Posts

August 6th, 2015 11:00

I do wonder if I have a dodgy card? Anyway if you have any other bright ideas, let me know but I guess we are getting to the end of what you can do. Thanks for the continued support. Looks like I may have to revert to my old card.

Tom

Tom, 

Where did you get that card?  Can you return it?  Honestly, those cards, and that software, usually "just work".   All these messages and problems you're seeing aren't really normal so it may very well be a bad card.  Did you purchase it new or get it second hand?

Todd

August 6th, 2015 15:00

Hi Todd

Success.........woohoo! I did a quick google at the note I was getting up and there was a theme about the OS causing the problem and people uninstalled and reinstalled. I have been debating about going to Windows 10 and I thought that maybe that may make it work. So after a 1hour update I now have Windows 10 and a working wifi adapter. How bizarre. Anyway happy days and thanks for the support.:emotion-2:

Tom

1.8K Posts

August 7th, 2015 08:00

Hi Tom,

Glad to hear that.  Let us know if you have any other problems.

Todd

No Events found!