Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

9 Posts

December 7th, 2019 10:00

KM717 bluetooth keyboard won't go into pairing mode

This is already my second time getting this keyboard since I sent the first one back thinking it was defective.

The keyboard and mouse work find using the dell universal receiver. The mouse also pairs and unpairs fine with Bluetooth. The keyboard however, will pair the first time with Bluetooth, and then when I turn off the keyboard and turn it back on, it will never reconnect with Bluetooth. I then tried holding the Bluetooth pairing button, but for that Bluetooth setting it will no longer go into pairing mode. Same applies for the other  Bluetooth memory mode. Will only pair once and then get bricked.

Is there any way I can factory reset this keyboard?

1 Message

May 14th, 2020 01:00

Maybe power on with ESC+Fn

8 Posts

May 14th, 2020 03:00

Thanks for the suggestion... it does not appear to do anything tho. ☹

May 15th, 2020 08:00

Same here - Channel 3 for me.

Was working on my devices for ages, but now won't enter pairing mode or be visible by ANY of the devices I had previously paired channel 3 with before.

May 15th, 2020 08:00

Just one more thing - all this talk of it being drivers and compatibility that is the magic problem, i've noticed that when pairing in channel 2, the little white light on the back flashes while its broadcasting ( before actual pairing commences ).  This just does not happen in channel 3.

Got to be a hardware / firmware issue.

8 Posts

May 15th, 2020 13:00

Hi Simon

I've had mine 18 months so it's out of warranty; I need it to work across 3 devices so either I find a fix, buy another or buy different. Given Dell's support I'm not buying another Dell nor getting a fix.  ☹

1 Message

May 19th, 2020 23:00

I have the same issue...
So DELL has not proposed any solution now? @DELL-Cares 

Regards, 

Kevin

8 Posts

May 20th, 2020 01:00

I have wasted lots of time on Dell's focus on 3 Windows 10 devices & 2 Android devices having bad/old Bluetooth drivers; they have not provided any firmware update for the keyboard, nor any way to factory reset the keyboard so we can confirm whether it is a firmware problem or a problem with the selector switch.

The fact they keep on returning to Bluetooth drivers as the focus showed they have not taken on board that the keyboard fault is demonstrated by the pairing light difference between a working channel & the problem channel; at this point the keyboard has not even tried communicating with the laptop.

As an analogy, it's like a PC failing to power on & blaming Windows! You should focus on getting the PC to the point where Windows has actually booted before blaming the OS!

In my case, it ain't the Bluetooth on the laptops, so I put it to them that a firmware/reset fix is the next thing to rule in/out but they are saying it must be hardware then.

Now it may be hardware, I'd rather address firmware/reset before throwing the keyboard out or wrenching the keyboard open to take a look inside...

I refuse to mark my support case as resolved because it is not. Even tho I have said to them to focus on firmware/reset they are still trying to blame the Bluetooth on 5 devices, or skipping straight to hardware.

1 Message

May 28th, 2020 03:00

HI

I have the same issue. I have tried to pair the keyboard 717 with my computer for hours and channel 2 and 3 just won't do it. My computer sees the keyboard via its bluetooth interface, but do not go into pairing mode (which fails each time). Pretty useless piece of hardware I must say, if this is a recurrent problem with this bluetooth keyboard. Ironically, the mouse I got in the same package (WM527) works well and got paired in no time.

I really wonder how Dell could claim it's not the keyboard. (I am using Linux so this is not an OS issue for sure

3 Posts

December 14th, 2023 19:10

For those interested, these keyboards enter DFU mode with ESC+F1 held during power on.  Led light goes orange and keyboard advertises itself as DfuTarg to bluetooth for flashing.

In other words, use ESC + F1 during power on or hold ESC + ~ before you turn on the device. 

I found multiple solutions here:
https://www.dell.com/community/en/conversations/networking-internet-bluetooth/km717-keyboard-and-mouse-connection-problems/647f796ef4ccf8a8de787cff

No Events found!