Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2012 06:00

Latitude E6400 bizarre wireless connection problem

Hello,

I have a Latitude E6400 on which I have been connecting to a private wireless at the home of the family with whom I am living.  Until two weeks ago (or so), I never had a problem with the connection.  Then it started to get a little spotty, and I wasn't able to connect every now and then.  I thought that it was just a problem with their signal, not my computer.  However, the signal there is fine--strong--but my computer refuses to connect to the internet anywhere (their house, other places with wireless networks/wireless hotspots).... In some places I have "local access," but when I open the browser, I only get an error message.

The wireless connection switch is on, and I've looked around online, but I can't figure out what is wrong with my computer or find any solutions to the problem....

I know very little about computers, but if anyone has any suggestions, I can answer questions and follow directions.  I am living in a foreign country for the next several months, and thus am unable to easily call Dell support.  Thank you in advance for any help!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 16th, 2012 10:00

eegallow,

Power off the ISP modem/router and the wireless router(if any) for 30 seconds. Plug the ISP modem/router back in. Wait 15 seconds and power on the wireless router(if any)

Start, control panel, device manager, network, double click on the 1397 adapter, advanced. Look for Antenna Diversity. Change the Antenna diversity from Auto to Aux, then restart restart your computer.

If there is a power management tab, uncheck the box, allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

If you can post back an ipconfig /all log, it may also show something.

Rick

2 Posts

March 17th, 2012 03:00

Ok, 2 things--

After following your instructions, my computer showed that I had local access, but I still couldn't get a connection when I opened a browser.

I ran the connections diagnotstics  test at home, and the results showed that I "failed" the Gateway IP ping and skipped the internet IP ping, DNS IP ping, and  Internet Website Domain Name ping (passed everything else, though).  This morning I connected to a different network just fine, and my wireless is working without a problem here.  When I ran the diagnostics test here, it showed that I'd passed everything through Gateway IP, failed the internet IP, and skipped DNS and Internet Website Domain Name....

Thanks so much.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 17th, 2012 07:00

eegallow,

Without an ipconfig /all log, this can be guess work.

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

Start, control panel, network and sharing center, click on your connection, properties. Look for TCP/Ipv4 and TCP/IPv6 (yours may just be TCP/IP Protocol, then click on properties. Have your settings match mine.

Rick

1 Message

November 7th, 2014 19:00

Dell and Intel refuse to provide updated drivers for the intel wifi link 5100 / 5300 agn card. This card no longer functions correctly with windows 7. They may provide drivers for windows 8 but neither company wants to support the old technology on the E6400.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 8th, 2014 03:00

alanberris,

I never had any problems with the 5100 on my system. My Intel WiFi 5100 AGN Connectivity Settings

I used the drivers mentioned in Installing My Wi-Fi Technology and never had connection problems.

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your network adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Intel® Centrino® Wi-Fi Products — Which operating systems are supported with Intel wireless products?

Rick

No Events found!