Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2004 14:00

Linksys wireless adapter driver problem

I'm trying to install a Linksys WMP54G Wireless-G PCI adapter in my daughter's computer - running 98SE. I installed the software first, then the hardware -- just as directed. The software acts like it installs fine and when I start the machine after installing the card it is recognized. However, it says it can't find the drivers. I suspect the drivers aren't being copied on the software install, but I'm not sure if that's true or what to do about it.

I've installed this same model card on another daughter's machine running XP pro and had no problems at all.

As always, I'd appreciate any help/suggestions from the forum. I've tried Linksys tech support and it has been like pushing on a rope --- not very productive!

Thanks

7.9K Posts

August 22nd, 2004 15:00

The couple of times I've called in the past, Linksys support has actually been decent -- you might try again and hope for a better tech (oddly the 3am time seems to work well ;p)

As for other suggestions, if it's identifing the hardware correctly it would seem like the drivers did, in fact, install.  See if you can find the entry for the card in device manager and can update the drivers there.  You could also try download the drivers from linksys and installing those instead of what's on the CD.  It might fix things if you're having problems.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 22nd, 2004 17:00

See if following the upgrade instructions here help:

http://www.linksys.com/download/vertxt/wmp54g_ver.txt

No Events found!