Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

November 2nd, 2006 14:00

Microsoft Update Problem for Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth

Warning - I just installed Microsoft's update for:

"Broadcom - Other Hardware - Dell Wireless 355 Module with Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR Technology"

It broke my Bluetooth device; the system no longer finds the device. The error message it generates when I try to enable the radio reads:

"Bluetooth license check failed. Please make sure that the Bluetooth device is plugged in /turned on, the device you are using is licensed for this software and that your license has not expired."

15 Posts

December 25th, 2006 06:00

Heh. So our options are a broken driver put out on Windows Update. Or a Dell driver that ships with the system that has bugs that should have been fixed by now because Broadcom has already released a driver update, but it can't be used. Wow this is great support.

1.7K Posts

December 26th, 2006 19:00

The Bluetooth driver and Broadcom drivers are two different vendors and devices and are unrelated. The drivers updates provided by Windows are drivers from the respective vendors and are typically for the retail version of the card or device the vendor sells.

When Dell purchases cards or devices for Dell systems there are certain requirements on how these are built. Therefore when a driver update is released by a vendor they are releasing the retail version of the driver and this is what Windows typically will point their update to. However, the vendor will also send Dell the updated driver Dell takes that driver and matches it to the OEM card specifications and then test the driver.This testing sometimes will delay the release of the driver at the Dell Drives & Downloads web site.

The Bluetooth driver is not a Broadcom driver. The Bluetooth devices on Dell notebooks are from Toshiba. The Broadcom device is a wi-fi device and the drivers have been updated to fix the security problem the Broadcom card had. See the links below. Dell recommends to use the drivers that we've test on our systems and are found at Drivers & Downloads, but if you want to update using a general drivers then you are welcome to do so, but this is not supported by Dell.

Please do not confuse the two drivers.

Here is the link to the driver update for the Broadcom cards.

15 Posts

December 26th, 2006 20:00

I'm talking about the Bluetooth card. Not the wifi card. My understanding is that the Bluetooth card uses a Broadcom Bluetooth stack. This is what needs to be updated to fix the issue with my mouse dropping the connection to the notebook. I downloaded a driver direct from Broadcom that is an updated version for the Broadcom chipset the card uses, however when I ran the driver. I was told that my card wasn't made by a vendor that supports that driver.

December 27th, 2006 04:00

Yes, I agree, the reason people are saying Broadcom is because our Bluetooth software is from Widcomm, which Broadcom purchased.

1.7K Posts

January 11th, 2007 04:00

My apologies, you are correct in saying that the 355 is a Widcomm. The previous cards used a Toshiba stack. However, like I indicated earlier you should use the drivers from Dell since the drivers at the Microsoft site are more for retail cards. The reason it seems broken is as I discussed earlier that when these drivers are released from the vendor they put out a retail version for Microsoft and this is typically what you see at their site; however, what Dell will do is take that driver and change it to the specifications that are required for the cards that we sold. This procedure is why you will typically see a bit of a delay for drivers to appear at drivers and downloads. I will do some checking to see what I can find.
No Events found!