Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2008 21:00

My computer is SO slow when online, PLEASE help!

I'm sure there are already hundreds of threads and posts about this topic, but between my internet being unbelievably slow and this site being so hard to navigate, I am posting my issue here. I apologize in advance if I am in the wrong area.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 and dsl internet. I just added memory to it, and I don't have that much on here in terms of files and software. My internet is so slow, it is pathetic. I delete temporary internet files regularly, clear cookies, etc...I've run disc clean up and defragmented, all of the things I know how to do. What is the problem? I'm sure it is something I am or am not doing, but I do not have a clue, and because I work from home and am a college student, I am online much of the time. I do not have time for this thing to creep along. Anyone that has any ideas, suggestions, etc...PLEASE respond!

Thanks!

1 Message

November 26th, 2008 01:00

have u tried to run your virus scanner for that? slow performance of the system is the effect sometimes of virus, spywares and malwares...

366 Posts

November 26th, 2008 08:00

you don't say if you are using ethernet or wireless but: firstly, have you made sure the ethernet or wireless adapter is ok?  if wireless using a router, perhaps other nearby wireless networks are using the same channel number as you.  You could try getting in to your router config page and changing channel.  Is the wireless network secure, do you have anyone "piggybacking" off your connection.  Have you tried using a different browser.  Have you asked the ISP if there is a known issue on the line.  If the previous post advice doesn't throw up anything, I hope something here helps.

11 Posts

November 26th, 2008 08:00

I have dsl and the option to be wireless, but I'm using my desktop. The router is brand new, so I think it should be okay. I have checked with the ISP, and they , no matter what the situation, but I have family here in the same town that use the same ISP, and their service is much better. I just added memory, so I don't think that should be an issue either. I did a free scan using regnet, or something like that, and there were a lot of errors found, but I don't have any kind of virus software right now. I did have McAfee but it expired and I haven't had the chance to buy another program.

20.5K Posts

November 26th, 2008 09:00

....and stay away from registry cleaners.

11 Posts

I don't have one, which is pathetic, I know. I just can't afford it right now. I am a college student, and my funds are kind of tight. However I have been researching which one is the most recommended so that when I can purchase something, I know which one to get. Do you know anything about RegCure?

20.5K Posts

If you have tried the suggestions HERE

Try running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
Please download to your desktop Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checkedPhotobucket
    Click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • If you are still having problems and/or would like a follow-up check to be sure the infection as well as vulnerabilities are gone, copy and paste the entire report into a New Message on the Malware Removal forum. Also include a fresh HijackThis log. Instructions for downloading HijackThis are at the top of that forum.
    1. Just click the Start A New Thread button (upper right) in the Malware Removal forum here:
    http://en.community.dell.com/forums/3521.aspx

to start your own thread requesting assistance for a follow-up check to be sure the malware is gone.
    2. In the discussion window that opens, simply Right-Click and select Paste.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
* If you are unable to download or install MBAM on your computer, see if you can use a friend's or family member's computer to download MBAM. Use this update link here to manually download the update. Once downloaded, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "findjunk.exe". Copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive. Transfer the file to the infected computer. Install the "findjunk.exe" file, then run the update so that you will have the current definitions. After that, run a full system scan and select to have the program REMOVE whatever it finds.

I also suggest removing McAfee using Add/Remove Programs, followed by the McAfee Removal Tool.

1. Download the removal tool.    

2. Click Save and save the file to any folder on your computer.

3. Navigate to the folder where the file is saved.

4. Make sure all McAfee windows are closed.

5. Double-click MCPR.EXE to run the removal tool.

Note: Windows Vista users must right-click MCPR.EXE and select Run as Administrator.

6. Restart your computer after receiving the message CleanUp Successful.

Your McAfee product will not be fully removed until the system is restarted.

If the message Cleanup Unsuccessful is displayed, you can view and save your MCPR log files for analysis by Technical Support.

Avast would be a good choice for an AV. It's free. That and others are listed HERE

11 Posts

November 26th, 2008 13:00

Isn't this malware doing the same thing the registry cleaners are? Will this one do the scan and tell me about the errors, but then make me buy the program before it will fix anything?

Thank you SO much for all the info you've given me, I truly appreciate it. Hopefully this will help!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

11 Posts

November 26th, 2008 13:00

When I went into the add/remove programs just now, there are a bunch of things there that weren't there before. I have no idea what they are.  3 of them are MSXML 4.0 KB927978,   MSXML 4.0 KB954430. Then there are a couple that say Motherboard Monitor 5 and Microsoft.Net Framework...what the heck is all that?

11 Posts

November 29th, 2008 15:00

In the very first sentence of your post, when I clicked on HERE, I went to an error page, it says it's been taken down or moved?

20.5K Posts

November 29th, 2008 16:00

MBAM will not make you buy the program.  I'm not sure what you mean by registry cleaners doing the same thing. If you want to know about registry cleaners, we'll discuss that later.

What you are seeing in Add/Remove is legitimate. It sounds as if you have a rootkit but I can't tell for sure until I see some logs and run some tools.

Do you have a clean computer -- family's or friend's --  so you can download tools to a USB stick and transfer them to the infected computer? When you post on the Malware Removal forum, please let us know if that would be possible.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 29th, 2008 21:00

bugbatter,

Your link in the above post needs edited. It has that stupid %20, causing it to malfunction.

mc montana post your information below.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/3521.aspx

Rick

No Events found!