Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

August 6th, 2011 23:00

My internet disconnects randomly and requires a HARD FORCED shutdown.

Studio 1747

Intel Core i7 cpu -Q720 @1.60GHZ 1.60GHZ

8.00GB RAM

64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

My Network Card is Intel Centrino Advanced N-6200 AGN

The Problem: Every now and then, more often now, my internet randomly dies - not a specific network, but the entire wireless just dies. Nothing is detected, etc - just DEAD. 

When I restart my computer, it freezes on the blue "Shutting Down..." screen and requires a hard forced shutdown.

I called Dell, but because I dont have software warranty, they declined to help this problem. But he mentioned something about the BIOS - restarting the computer, pressing F12 (or F8?) and troubleshooting something in the BIOS.

There is no particular software/program I"m running when this happens - just normal computer use.

I'm almost certain all my drivers are up to date and I always do a Windows Update when it comes up. Aka, I know how to take care of a computer.

Please help!!

~DaN

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 7th, 2011 05:00

Dan,

What type of security are you using in your wireless router? What channel? Did you ever try updating the firmware? Try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

I have also tried going to  Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number. Download the drivers for the 6200 under network.

Make a system restroe point.

Go to start, control panel, devise manager, network. Right click on the 6200, left click uninstall. It asks you if you want to remove and associated software with it. I clicked yes. When it was done, I restarted the computer.

Install the drivers you downloaded from Dell's website.

Try to connect. What happens?

Try this tweak...

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Also read...

Intel® WiFi Products — Power Save Polling (PSP) causes connection issues with some access points

Rick

No Events found!