Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2016 13:00

Network Adapter Keeps Shuting Off

I have heard that many people are having this problem.  I have tried a number of fixes for it but none have worked.  I would like to know if anyone has a real solution.  I am on Windows 10 and have an Inspiron 17 5000 Series machine which was purchased in October of 2014.  My WiFi keeps shutting off.  This "troubleshooting problems" to reconnect my network adapter is getting old.  This was never a problem until recently.  I think it might have been when I updated to Windows 10.  Someone at Dell should address this issue and find us a real solution!!!!!!  Please send help!!!!

1.8K Posts

January 20th, 2016 09:00

Hi,

I know this issue has frustrated quite a few people.   There seem to be a few different possible causes for this happening.

The first thing I would suggest trying to fix this issue would be to check out this link:

Resolving Connection Issues on Your Wi-Fi Network for Windows 10

You don't mention which model of wireless card you have in that system but the article linked above has solutions for both the Intel and Dell branded wireless cards.   

I would also highly recommend you update the firmware on your router.  The newer protocols in Windows 10 may not be communicating correctly with your router if it's firmware is out of date.  Depending on the make and model of your router there are different steps to updating the firmware on it but your user manual (or a google search) will explain how to do that.  

Updating the router is one of the more important things you should try.

You can also change the power settings mode of your wireless adapter by following this process:

Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> Wireless Adapter Settings -> Power Setting Mode.  Change both On Battery and Plugged in settings to Maximum Performance. 

In order to help me more efficiently troubleshoot this problem please click on my Dell Todd username and send me a PM with the Dell Service Tag of your system.  Please keep all troubleshooting and discussions here in this public thread so that others, who may have the same problem, can see what is done to resolve this issue.

Todd

3 Posts

January 20th, 2016 13:00

Todd,

The article is not at the link you sent.  Please send me a copy or update the link.  I will try to update the firmware on the router.  I have already tried the power settings thing and it didn't work. 

1.8K Posts

January 20th, 2016 14:00

Hi,

The link works for me, but just in case:

Todd

3 Posts

January 20th, 2016 16:00

Todd,

For some reason the link comes up and I see the article then it disappears and all I see is the name of the article and the article number but no article.  Any idea why?  Could you just e-mail me the article?

1.8K Posts

January 21st, 2016 06:00

Hi,

It sounds like you have more going on than just network connection issues.   What browser are you using to pull up webpages?   Does it happen with other pages at all?

What happens if you google the words:

It should bring the article up as the first link in Google. 

Try a different browser and see if that helps.  (ie either Chrome, Firebox, or Internet Explorer)

You may also want to look at running your security software, whether it's McAfee or Norton, or a different one, to see what it finds.

Let me know what browser you are using, if it is happening with other sites, and if a different browser works.

Todd

December 15th, 2020 08:00

I just reviewed my Router and figured which one was my computer. It was cycling on / off every 10 or less seconds at 2.4 GHz. When I moved the computer to 5 GHz the computer stayed on longer  (so far 35 minutes). 

No Events found!